What are things I should consider before choosing to be in the Health Career ?

At school, I am most interested in anatomy and math, while my hobbies include reading and watching medical tv shows I find them so interesting and I know that its not like that in the real life but helping people is what I really like to do . A topic that I am passionate about is medical field , its very fascinating. What are some career options that best align with these interests and what are some helpful next steps I can do in the near future?
#career #career-choice #healthcareer #medicinefield #healthcare #medicine #nurse

2

Sarah’s Answer

A couple ideas to consider that combine math and medicine:

Respiratory Therapist - they help patients who are having trouble breathing normally. It’s an associates or bachelor’s degree, depending on the program. They’re often employed in hospitals. There is a lot of math/physics involved in caring for the cardiopulmonary system. They interview and examine patients for respiratory and heart/lung disorders, work with physicians to develop treatment plans, perform tests on their patients like measuring lung capacity, treat patients using several methods from nebulizers to ventilators, monitor how therapy is helping the patient and adjust in coordination with the physician, and also educate patients how to use their medication and any equipment they or caregiver will need to manage themselves.

Exercise Physiologist - they create fitness and exercise programs for patients who are ill or injured. It takes at least a bachelor’s degree. Some work in hospitals or for providers, but many have their own businesses (self-employed). This, too, involves some physics and a lot of anatomy/medicine. They go over a patient’s medical history to determine any risks exercise would pose and to figure out what exercises and fitness programs would be best for them. They do diagnostic testing, including stress tests on the patient’s heart to help guide their decisions. They monitor the patient’s heart rate and rhythm, oxygen use, blood pressure, and other measures of the patient’s health during exercise. They monitor and modify the patient’s treatment plan as needed to achieve the best result.

You might also explore these other occupations that combine medicine and math: physical or occupational therapist, pharmacist, sonographer, clinical laboratory technician, radiographer, health information technician, occupational health and safety specialist, cardiovascular technologist, nurse anesthetist, or chiropractor.

Best of luck to you, Elizabeth.

Sarah recommends the following next steps:

Research, research, research these professions. What the work involves. The training. Day-to-day duties. Pay. If that kind of work is available in your area (or where you want to live).
Get in touch with people in these professions and ask for advice and perspective, including what a day looks like for them. You want something that fits with your lifestyle. (Try LinkedIn to find people, if you need some help.)
Start some college classes, if you haven't already, including basic prereqs like algebra or calculus, biology, chemistry. Start looking at what courses the profession(s) you're considering require. If you're still considering >1 occupation, take the course requirements that overlap first.
Talk to some current students of the program(s) you're considering. See how they're finding their training. Maybe you can get a leg up with that information and make sure the program's right for you..
Take the plunge and apply to your chosen program!

Awesome answer, Sarah. I agree with everything you said! Susan Delphine Delaney

0

Bonnie’s Answer

since you like math, consider the technology side of the healthcare industry. Visit Udacity.com and get some advice about technology and healthcare. IBMs Watson is diagnosing patients. Pretty cool. Get a couple of Nanodegrees and who knows where you’ll go. I did it and I am so glad I did because it helped me be clear about next steps

Bonnie recommends the following next steps:

Visit Udacity.com
Check out their catalog
Get advice about your love of math and healthcare...what courses they recommend
Take a few free courses to see how it works

0