What are your teaching strategies or methods?

3
3

Prerna’s Answer

0

Hi ,

I have been taking private tuitions for School kids for almost 8 years now.

Mine is a very simple strategy, I've observed humans learn and learn fast when they enjoy something or when they can relate to something.

I make sure whatever I teach I don't just read it out of the books , but I somehow try to give them real life examples about it, and by real life I mean examples from the student's own life. So that they can relate the concept easily. For this reason I also take out the time to personally know the student better. This way they open up to me and they I am also someone they can talk to anytime for anything.

I never try to scare or punish my students. A punishment for my student would be an hour extra with me which doesn't involve studying.

There are a few things which just needs to be remembered or mugged up. For such topics , I suggest using Abbreviations if it's a formula or set of items. Otherwise writing something again and again helps a lot too.

Hope these help you. :)

0

Amanda’s Answer

0
Dear Prerna,
I am not a teacher but manager of other people. I do occasional teach a project management class. Key is to keep them interested and attentive. How does one do that? What I do sometimes is to start with a question right up front and ask the class to be engaging to answer that question. Along the way I throw out more questions here and there. Additionally, mix it with stories and I call them anchors. These stories that tie to your concepts can help a student learn and recall information much better. Stories that have meaning that hits an emotional cord are best because people will remember those the most.

If possible that's what I would suggest doing.

Best wishes.
0

Janice’s Answer

0
Making that teachable moment real and exciting is key. I agree, don't just read or teach from a book - it would be helpful to find something tangible that they can touch and feel for engagement. I learn by doing...whether that is me writing the information down after it has been said (tends to stick with me longer) or if I am the one that gets on the computer and walks through the steps to run a report or create a plan. Doing and repetition would be my preference.
0