What are the requirements for teaching or becoming and educator?

2
2

Kimberly’s Answer

0

Hi Rodolfo,

The most direct route is to obtain your bachelor's degree in the field you hope to teach in. You need to choose a field of study (History, Math, Health, etc.) then decide what grade you would like to teach. This should help you narrow down what college to go to and what program to apply for. Upon completing your 4 year degree, you will be required to pass a series of certifications (tests) to obtain a license in the state you want to teach. Some states are reciprocal, meaning, if you get a license for one state, it may allow you to work in other states as well, without having to get your certification in that state. Good luck!!

Kimberly recommends the following next steps:

• Choose what topic interests you and find a college that has a good reputation in that subject matter
0

Emily A.’s Answer

0

Hi Rodolfo,

It's nice to start thinking of your interests and career! I'm an educator myself and can tell you a little bit about my experience and what I know.

Simply, to be a teacher all you have to do is know something that somebody else doesn't know and help them understand it.

First off- it is important to specify WHAT you want to be teaching and WHO you want to be teaching and what kind of structure you are looking for. This will help you narrow and focus your education.

You can get a degree in Education and become licensed to teach in the state that you want to be employed in. Here, you can specify what age group you want to teach and what subjects. You can work for either a public, private, or specialized (montessori) schools, even in special education as well. This is a common avenue and standard requirements for most grade school and high school teachers. This is not your only option to be a teacher, but it is the conventional way and is also very structured.

I did not get a degree in education. I continued my education in Communication and got my Master's degree (2 more years after a bachelor's degree). This made me eligible to educate college-level students as a lecturer and this is what I do.

Additionally, if there is a subject you find very compelling, you can get your PhD in that subject by researching the topic more and making new discoveries in the field. Then you can become a professor and teach for universities (This will require at least 4 more years of education after your bachelor's degree).

However, you do not need a college degree to be a teacher. Think of yoga instructors, fitness instructors, swim instructors for example- they have careers that likely did not require a degree in education, but rather experience, knowledge, and expertise in what they do. They don't necessarily work for a school but are still teachers in their own right.

Hope that gives you some insight into teaching and all that it encompasses.

Shine on!

Emily

0