Is being a teacher a good job?

2
2

Joan’s Answer

0
Hi Mohammed!

I’ve been teaching now for 25+ years. Teaching is an excellent profession for those who really want to be there. If you’re going into teaching because you want to make lots of money or just because you have your summers off, this career is not for you.

Whenever I have student teachers, they always ask if teaching is the right career path for them. I have a very simple question for them that helps them decide if they should be a teacher. Simply, the question is do you like to be around children? If you do then you have your answer.

There is going to be a teacher shortage in the next five years or so...that’s what the experts are saying, so getting a job will seemingly be easy to achieve. To work in a school district that you would like to teach means that you must have good college grades and get an A in your student teaching assignment.

Once you pass your state board tests you are ready to apply for jobs. Most teachers starting out have a grade picked out that they would like to teach. Unfortunately that’s not how it works. You take a job even though it might not be the grade you want to teach and then move to the job you want when it becomes available. I always wanted to teach kindergarten, but i’ve Been teaching 6th grade for about 22 years and now wouldn’t want a younger grade.

Teaching is hard somedays, just like anything. But...most days it’s so rewarding. Your students care about you and you them. There are many kids I still have connections with and talk with on a regular basis. It is really gratifying that you have had such a big, positive impact on their life. Kids need those connections.

I wish you the best and know that regardless what you do you will be successful.

Mrs. Coughey
Literature 6
0

Mohamed’s Answer

0

Being a teacher is a great job in terms of self satisfaction and worthiness. You will affect many lives and futures. Your actions and ideas are very important for many young people. If you want to be a teacher for the purpose of being rich then try something else.

Mohamed recommends the following next steps:

• Note that all prospective teachers must go through teacher certification programs to be certified. So you may need to gather information about the certification in the field you want to teach.
0