1. The path to orthodontic training has become more expensive, and will become more expensive in the future
2. An Orthodontist has to work and function in an awkward posture for long hours.
1. The job of an orthodontist is ranked as low stress. The job of an orthodontists assistant falls under the same category as a dental hygienist and dental assistant, which are ranked as having an average stress level.
2. Orthodontists rate their happiness above average. ... As it turns out, orthodontists rate their career happiness 3.6 out of 5 stars which puts them in the top 24% of careers.
3. Work hours are flexible, and orthodontists may adjust their schedules in order to meet the needs of their patients and themselves. This may involve working in the evenings and during weekends. Full-time orthodontists usually work 35 to 40 hours every week.
After having an established practice, many orthodontists will work 4 days a week. Do I have to be super smart to become an orthodontist? No, but you do have to work hard and study! Enjoy the journey!
Maldonado recommends the following next steps:
- Plan for College. It will take many years to accomplish your goal
- Look up for others who have done it and get advise