What is the hardest thing about grad school?

1
1

Kimberly’s Answer

0
The most difficult part of grad school was how time consuming it was. The work wasn't overly difficult but researching and then writing several papers took a lot of time. There weren't a lot of tests or quizzes so most of your grade comes from papers and presentations. These papers needed to be very specifically formatted as well, in APA, with citations from Peer Reviewed Articles. It can be very tedious. Be sure to commit enough personal time to completing your work on time. The benefits far outweigh the hard work though. It's a very rewarding experience and can open doors to a rewarding career. Your professors and other students who may already be in the field you are studying can be great resources, be sure to utilize what and who, they know. Good luck
0

Lila’s Answer

0

Most students struggle with time management, and therefore, health. Your body and brain need sleep. You cannot sleep if you do not manage your assignments and projects effectively. If you are sleep deprived, you are more likely to get sick and require time off. I encourage you to make a working schedule and stick to it, and if you are up for it, to make time to exercise in whatever way works for you.

Mental health is also often adversely affected during graduate school. With pressures so high and deadlines so short, students often abuse substances or fall into unhealthy habits. I encourage you to find and use any resources your school provides for maintaining mental and physical health.

Last, many students struggle with the job search at the end of graduate school. I encourage you to start making connections and going to networking events like it is part of your job (because it is). You never know which connection could turn into employment. You cannot always rely on your resume to get your foot in the door, so use whatever resources are available and get every advantage you can. Start looking for internships or employment a full year in advance. Other students or even the school itself may discourage you from starting so early, but you stand to benefit from your efforts... and they do not.

Good luck in graduate school! It changed my life for the better, and I hope it does for you, too.

0