how much should i get paid for being a cop

2
2

1

Jace,

That is a very broad question with a whole lot of variables.

Salary is pretty good in large cities, or for the state highway patrol. Small towns and county sheriff's don't normally pay as well. However, if it is in a town/county where you are protecting many wealthy residents, the pay tends to be better.

Besides salary, there are many other "pieces" of your paycheck. These may include:

1. shift differential. If you work 2-10 pm or 10 pm- 6 am.
  2. longevity pay: an extra amount for each year of service.
  3. Education pay: pay for having a degree, or, perhaps just for having some hours of college
  4. Certification pay: There are usually certification levels that you advance through using training and years of service: basic, intermediate, advanced, masters
  5. bilingual pay: if you speak a second language, esp Spanish or American Sign Language
  6. clothing allowance: we got this every 3 months
  7. specialty pay: k9, bike patrol, helicopter, etc
  8. Health insurance paid for by your employer

I live in San Antonio, where cadets are starting at $45,000.

Bowling Green starts at a little over $41,000, with an increase to around $45,000 upon graduation from the police academy. https://www.bgky.org/police/jobs/police-officer

Let me know if you have more questions!

Kim

Jen is spot on. Here in Southern California, the starting pay is around $60,000 and up. Here, it is not so much cities with wealthy people that pay well, but cities with thriving industry due to the tax base which generates your salary. Danny Kono
Sorry, my last post said "Jen" was spot on. I meant "Kim." Haven't had my coffee yet...lol. Danny Kono
$60,000 is LESS than $45,000! That is, the cost of living in Southern California requires you to make $70,000 to maintain the same standard of living in California as you could in Bowling Green on a whole lot less. It's a tricky world! https://www.bankrate.com/calculators/savings/moving-cost-of-living-calculator.aspx Kim Igleheart
1

0

There a many variables to this. It's going to depend on what region you live in / what shifts you are willing to work and what assignments you are given. The best thing to do what be to ask cops in your region what the expected base pay would be for a new hire with no experience.

0