What is a basic day as a user interface developer?

4
4

Jenny’s Answer

0
I've been a frontend (or UI) developer for 3 years. I would say the most difficult part of my job is that I need to have both people skills and technical skills. If someone wants me to build a brand new feature based on a UX team's design, I need to have enough knowledge of HTML/CSS/Javascript to build it. Not only do I build it, but I have to test it, check back with the UX team to see if it looks good as intended, and also talk to the backend developers to see that everything is working end-to-end. The backend team is responsible for making everything work behind the shiny interface, so if anything on their end isn't working, I would be the first to know. A lot of my job involves communicating with lots of different people and being a mediator. Sometimes the UX team will design something that the backend team says is impossible, and because I have insider information on both teams, I would be the one to talk to both teams to see if we can compromise on something else.

From a day-to-day standpoint, I spend most of my time coding and building or testing new features. That might sound dull but it requires a lot of creativity and thinking outside the box every day, which keeps things interesting. I spend a lot of my time thinking about how to make something better, faster, cleaner, look nicer. It's one of those jobs where I feel as though I'm learning something new every day.

Those conversations where I would act as a go-between for the backend team and the UX team don't happen all the time, but they happen enough that it's a skill I needed to develop or else I would fall behind.

I'm not sure where you are with your interests in UI, but I would start with learning some design basics for websites, and picking up some coding classes so you know the basics of how to write in Javascript. Do some research into the latest tools and libraries that UI developers use to build their interfaces. After that, I would do some hands-on personal projects. Try designing your own personal website using your own HTML/CSS/Javascript code. You don't really know what it's like until you try!

Jenny recommends the following next steps:

• Learn some design fundamentals (how to wireframe, what kind of designs work best)
  • Take a programming class
  • Research how UI developers build their interfaces (libraries, frameworks, tools they use)
  • Try designing and building a website from scratch
0

shibani’s Answer

0
Heres an amazing article about a typical day in a web developers life: https://careerfoundry.com/en/blog/web-development/what-is-a-typical-day-in-the-life-of-a-web-developer/
0

Amit’s Answer

0

A user-interface developer is normally responsible for working with a UX team to craft a design then will work to build that design. Whether it be an app or website or something else they will work closely with the UX designers to ensure the design is what was envisioned. They then will go through testing to make sure the built design works and is truly accessible. A tool for design is figma.com, a tool for tracking issues is trello.com, and some technologies used are HTML/CSS/JavaScript.

Amit recommends the following next steps:

• Design a wireframe using figma or another tool
  • Think through how users will work with that wireframe
  • Build the wireframe in HTML/CSS/JavaScript
  • Deploy it on GitHub for free and show it to people!
0