What classes should I take in high school to best prepare me for a job in computer science?

I'm interested in computer programming and I want to make sure the classes I'm taking will help me out in that field. #computer-science #computer-programming

Shingchern’s Answer

Personally I think you do not need any specific course in high school to learn computer programming. Most courses in high school are (my personal bias) irrelevant. However, you need to ask yourself if you are suitable to study programming. In my opinion, you need to have strong reasoning ability to be one of the best programmers. Reasoning ability means that you can predict (guess) something based on what you have known so far.It is hard for me to explain this kind of characteristics. I do know some researchers are developing standard tests to evaluate this ability. Unfortunately, I do not have access to any of the problem sets. Maybe I can give you a simple example. If you watch a movie, will you guess what the story will go on based on what you have watched so far? If so, how well is your guess? If you can do it well, that means you have a strong reasoning ability. If you cannot, that is OK. This ability can be developed. As long as you keep your curiosity and always think why, you can acquire this ability. Good luck.

Leon’s Answer

Certainly Math and Science classes are almost required for computer science daily activities.
Take computer programming classes if they are offered at your school.
I know in the future typing will be replaced with voice commands but taking an on-line touch typing class would benefit for the short term.

You can learn programming on-line while you are going to high school. Python is an easy to learn general purpose programming language available on many web sites. This web site is one of the best-- https://www.learnpython.org/

I know this is old fashion but you should buy a good Python programming book for reference.
When you use the book feel free to highlight and mark references.
Or you could find a good Python programming pdf on the Internet an print the connects.

Leon recommends the following next steps:

• Take on-line programming course.
  • Take another on-line programming course.

The best classes to take in high school are Math and Science related for working in IT. An increasing amount of field is revolving around Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning. For AI/ML you should also consider classes on statistics. Based on how you want to develop your career business classes can also help.

Megan’s Answer

Hi Alex,
While math and science are the two most obvious answers, I would also suggest writing/communications courses. One of the keys to being a good developer is being able to succinctly comment on your code so others can easily ramp when they have to work on it. If I were you, I would also work outside of your classes to learn various programs. I have taught myself all of the various software and programming languages by reading books and using online resources as well. This is a good method for you to find out what really interests you and dive deeper into it.
Megan

Jacob’s Answer

I would start with the basics. Start by studying for your A+ and Net+ CompTIA exams, these can also help give you college credit at the same time depending on the college. I see A LOT of people struggle in this field because they try to enter into it laterally instead of starting from the bottom.

Jacob recommends the following next steps:

• Start studying for basic certifications.
  • Start studying for CLEP related exams that will earn you college credit while still in High School.