Will this job improve my social skills?

8

#customer Representative #career

8

Melisa’s Answer

1

Hi Isaac,

What a very thoughtful question. I've held jobs in both customer service and retail sales before my career at my current company. I truly feel that both of those roles helped me not only with improving my social skills, but in learning to work with all types of people and personalities. By working in customer service, I also found it helpful in learning how to “problem solve” and help others by finding solutions.

If you want to continue improving your social skills, I would also add that volunteering in your community can help grow some meaningful and interesting connections and even gain confidence. By volunteering, you are working alongside others in your community that may have different types of careers and even potential job opportunities. It can provide you with opportunities to informally practice your social skills while also doing something to make a positive impact in our world.

You can find out volunteer opportunities through your school, church, local non-profit organizations and online by searching helpful volunteer event focused websites.

Best wishes for success in your educational and career goals.

#customer_service #career #social_skills

Melisa recommends the following next steps:

• Check online for helpful and entertaining videos on improving social skills. Sites like TedTalks and LinkedIn have some great free educational information.
  • Practice your social skills informally, in small group or different size settings there are opportunities.
  • Check out sites like http://greatnonprofits.org to find volunteer opportunities and organizations near you so you can find something to participate in.
1

Bethany’s Answer

0
I believe that working in a customer service level is the base of where you want to begin your journey. Even if there are other job titles that you want to go to within the company, starting with customer service gives you the opportunity to learn about the business or even the industry. From these customers you will learn to see ways to talk to people more effectively to gain the information you need to help each individual person. In my career, I have worked in many different roles. I think the times that I was face to face with a customer (of phone to customer) allowed me to set the foundation of what I really needed to get to where I am today.
Even something as basic as remembering to smile when you're talking on the phone helps you sound more positive and excited about what you're talking about even if you're just talking about someone's bill.
0

Jeff’s Answer

0
Working 1-1 with customers be in in person, over the phone or in writing is a great way to build your social skills.... Its difficult to jump into a social situation when its not something that comes natural to you. By taking a step to put yourself in that situation intentionally you get a chance to get over those fears and build your confidence.
0

Alyson’s Answer

0
It sure will! I spent many years in the service industry and having to speak to guests helped with any hesitations or reservations I may have add approaching someone I do not know. Embrace being a bit uncomfortable - it will be a skill that will help you as you move and progress in professional life.
0

Arun Kumar’s Answer

0
Customer Representative role will provide opportunities to improve
a) Communication skills
b) Relationship development
c) Situation handling
d) Understanding of different use case scenarios - of a product/solution etc
e) A great platform for developing technical skills if working in technology space etc
0

Robin’s Answer

0
Absolutely! Learning how to work and interact with customers and people in general is a valuable asset to any company. Companies thrive on customers after all that is what keeps them in business. If you think about it the word "customer" is a broad term right, we have customers who are actual customers purchasing goods or services, as a manager your customers are the employees that you manage and it goes on and on. Everyone around you is a customer in some way and having the ability to relate to people, find common ground and be in the moment with them will open the door to a lot of different career opportunities. In my position being someone who has customer service skills has taught me how to relate and communicate with different people from different backgrounds and create a team environment to work together. I feel as though any experience and education you give yourself is valuable and there is no exception for customer service.
0

Bethany’s Answer

0
0

James’s Answer

0
Yes! Having the opportunity to connect with customers or work in an environment where you interact is great for building those kind of skills. You will also learn problem solving, conflict management and a range of other life skills.
0