What extracurricular activities should pre-med students seek out?

5

Mr.’s Answer

Lindsey B,

I would suggest that you volunteer somewhere where a medical committee can see that you were having one on one interactions with patients. I know that most employers like to see pre med students who have worked with the less fortunate like at a soup kitchen. It shows that you are passionate, devoted and well rounded. You can also find a physician who can mentor you in the field of medicine and might even throw in a bonus of extra knowledge at you. I can tell by this question that you are willing to learn and make an impact so just take your time to research and network, LinkedIn is a ideal place to begin. I wish you the best on your journey.

0

Anthony’s Answer

Anthony Constantinou says, "Good extracurricular activities include shadowing doctors, working as a scribe, working at a clinic, or interning at a hospital"

0

Sarah’s Answer

I recommend you do anything you are passionate about and enjoy doing. For instance if you love playing musical instruments and or enjoy singing, this can come in handy when taking care of your patients. You will be amazed at how healing and therapeutic it is. You can always use your passion and talents to help and heal patients. There is really no blue print. You decide how you want your gifts to be used as a blessing to others.

0

Try to find opportunities to pursue research.

Volunteer at your local hospital or low-income clinic.

Ask physicians, PAs or other clinical providers if you can shadow them.

0

A research publication is looked very favorably on by admissions committees.
Otherwise, GPA and MCAT are by far the most important aspects of your application.

0