4
Updated 395 views

How would I go about becoming a welder

I like to do hands on stuff and be active #welding #welder

4

0

jason’s Answer

The way I started out was got a job in a union shop as a helper/ apprentice and worked my way through different jobs until I became a journeyman welder fitter fabricator.
It has been a good career for me for 32 years.
You can also take courses at your local school/ college. You will still need the on the job experience though. Working with alot if older experts seemed to be the best way for me.
0
0

Edward’s Answer

Join the union and go to their welding classes. Welding is a life or death profession. You use the right electrodes, the proper welding techniques and follow the engineered drawings, you will be fine. However, if you didn't follow the proper procedures, the welds will be broken and that portion(s) of the building will be damaged, sometimes to the point that the failed weld will require opening up adjacent welds to verify that they had not sustained in damages. Welding is a critical profession, it can be life or death.
0
0

Dallas’s Answer

We’ve hired a few guys out of trade schools, I did it some as a hobby in high school. I wasn’t skilled but I had ambition and learned fast. I was hired and received “on the job training” and have excelled.

Ask around find someone with a machine and welding knowledge and try to learn from them.

Also note the new generation of welders will be expected to perform under stricter safety standards. Wearing personal protective equipment (PPE) in most shops is required.
0