what previous experience do you need to have to be a neonatal nurse

2
2

Amy’s Answer

0
Hi Sabrina,

To become a neonatal nurse, you will need to complete a bachelors in nursing program at a college (normally a 4 year program). You can also complete a bachelors in another science field and then go back for a 2 year nursing program.
0

Kerrie’s Answer

0
To become a neonatal nurse, you should have a BSN degree and then look for a hospital that will take new graduates. For example, a hospital might offer an internship or residency program and then offer an option to be hired after the completion of that program. I feel this is the best way to get the knowledge needed for a specialty area.
I did this as an OR RN-I was able to do an internship over the summer the year before I graduated nursing school and was placed in the perioperative setting. This allowed me to work directly with a preceptor and realize first-hand what was expected of a perioperative RN. After graduation (about 2-21/2 years), I then found for a program that was 6 months long for nurses that were new to the OR setting. After the successful completion of the program, I was offered a job with that hospital in the OR.
0