How has COVID-19 affected your job as a nurse?

With the COVID-19 breakout how has it affected your daily life and lifestyle? #nurse #nursing #doctor #nurse-practitioner #healthcare #career

4

Kentoya’s Answer

The COVID 19 pandemic has not changed my lifestyle much. I do now remove my work clothes before entering my house. Prior to COVID 19, I would remove my clothes in my room placing them in hamper. Now, I place them in a plastic bag in the garage until they are washed.

As for work, wearing a mask in each patient’s room is new, and it makes it hard for hard to hearing patients to read my lips. The other precautions are standard precaution and I have practiced washing my hands between each patient since entering into healthcare. I am not a fan of hand sanitizer, but I use it when I can’t access soap and water immediately.

Hand washing is considered standard precautions. A practice we practice daily in health care. I am more conscious of it and continue to utilize standard precautions efficiently within my daily practice.

0

Sarah’s Answer

I think it depend on your work setting how your job would be affected. I work as an FNP in 2 different Urgent Cares. Both of the clinics have slowed down significantly. My shifts were cut completely from one clinic and reduced at the other. My sister is an ER nurse at a county hospital in Dallas, TX and her workload increased as did her number of shifts. Several nurses gave up shifts so she has gotten A LOT of overtime. I have other friends that work on ICU floors in Texas, and their work has not been affected much since they their patient/nurse ratios are still the same. They did tell me that several of the med-surg floors had laid off nurses since the census was low. Depending on level of experience, some of the nurses I know became travel nurses and traveled to areas where demand was higher.

0

Diep’s Answer

Covid-19 initially created a surge. As the others have mentioned, some places such as New York and California are more in demand for nurses right now. The hospital systems however are losing a lot of money because patients are terrified of going to the emergency room. All outpatient offices and procedures have halted. Many people are getting laid off and their hours cut including physicians. I was a ER and trauma nurse for 5 years. The hours are always there for nurses. If you become a provider such as a NP, PA, or MD- this is different because they can cut hours and have you do more coverage. I now currently work as a nurse practitioner in a physical medicine position. Luckily I have not been cut and we have been able to get reimbursement from telehealth visits. The one thing covid19 did was at least push providers in providing this service. However, I do not see things going back to normal anytime soon and there will be plenty more paycuts to come due to the lack of reimbursement.

0

Alice’s Answer

As a Frontline health worker, it's challenged me to understand that we are soldiers on a battle field but what is not guaranteed is are we going to win? So anxiety really.

0