How do I get an internship in high school?

11

My high school is extremely competitive and it seems like all of my peers have an internship of some sort. I am not sure how to get an internship as I want to be able to stack up against them when applying to college. #internship #college

11

Matthew’s Answer

1
First off, find your skills and know your strengths to narrow down which paths you should apply for. After this, you can look for research opportunities from your local scientific organizations and other fields that interest you on Google. You should see listed requirements and know how far off you are from being able to be competitive and apply there to get the internship. There are also job-shadowing opportunities that allow you to follow a professional around and be able to talk to them and gain knowledge of their field. If all else fails, you can always call local companies and ask them about any summer opportunities they have for high school students or consult a counselor in your school about potential opprotunities.
1

Steve’s Answer

1
I like Matthew's answer! In addition, find opportunities to network with people who work at the companies you're also looking to do your internships at to help you land one sooner. Work on the humble brag. A lot of recruiting decisions are made off of recommendations from one or more employees that can vouch for you. If you can win a recruiter over, seeing that someone at the company recommended you on the application helps. The person(s) responsible for the final hiring decision may ask the employee who recommended you about you, FYI. Glassdoor is also a nice place to look at reviews for companies you're looking at opportunities for, whether short- or long-term and you can add "internship" to your search term. While Google is efficient to start looking, some search results are stale or come from sites with stale data; I'd recommend setting alerts to improve your odds that listings are relatively newer.
1

Steve’s Answer

0
Perhaps you should clarify: When you say "internship" do you mean work experience via a PAID part-time job, or an UNPAID opportunity to learn in a real-world setting? Only the latter is a true internship, FYI.

If you're just looking to get some experience and earn some money at the same time, there are plenty of businesses that offer part-time jobs to high school students: Retail sales, restaurants, etc.

If you're more focused on the educational aspects and not the money, then volunteering is the way to go. Numerous organizations would be happy to have a motivated student volunteer with them, and it gives you the opportunity to experience what it's like to work in a real-world setting. Seek out opportunities that align with your academic/career interests. For example, if you're thinking of majoring in Bio or working in health care, look for volunteer positions with hospitals, clinics, social services agencies, etc.

0

Erin’s Answer

0
Hi Meha! This is a great question. I went to a competitive school myself and understand the desire to keep up with everyone else. Honestly, having been around the block now, if I were in your shoes I would take a step back and think about what you WANT to do rather than what everyone else is doing. In the end, you don't have to go to the "best" university to find happiness and be successful in your career. Instead, you need to do what you enjoy. You also don't have to do an internship to look good on a college application. Instead, you could get a job working at a coffee shop or fast food restaurant - you would learn invaluable career and life skills (customer service, money management, team work, responsibility, the list goes on), which would also make you a valuable college applicant. Volunteering could also be a great way to gain experience you can showcase to a college. There is no single or "right" way to do things. Whatever you decide to do, be yourself and find something that resonates with you as a person and your interests.
0

Angela D.’s Answer

0
Hi there! I would suggest speaking with your school counselors as well, they often have ties to various communities and knowledge of additional resources. You can also pursue volunteering, tutoring, and club activities to round out your profile. Wishing you the best in your endeavors, Dr. B
0