Did you always know you wanted to be a surgeon?

I really like the prospect of surgery but am hesitant because I am squeamish. I was wondering if surgeons always knew they wanted to be surgeons or if they grew into it, and gradually the squeamish-ness (for lack of better words) dissipated? #medicine #surgery

2

Naiara’s Answer

Hello!

It is very exciting that you are considering a career in surgery! The advantage of having 8 years of school before becoming a doctor, is that you will get to experience all types of medicine (including different types of surgeries) and then figure out what field is the right for you. You could try to do some shadowing in a hospital as well while in college or high school. During medical school, you will have the opportunity to explore your interests and spend time in many different surgical specialties (it is a very broad field!). Some people may prefer small surgeries (skin, eyes, etc), while others prefers bigger/longer surgeries (heart, joints, brain, etc).

0

Paula’s Answer

Hi Anna, You have a lot of time before you really need to pick a specialty. I knew from childhood I wanted to be a doctor, but was interested in many different specialties based on what I had been exposed to. I did do some shadowing/volunteer work in high school and college, and entered medical school having decided to go into pediatrics. During medical school was exposed to many different fields and decided on general surgery based on that experience. During the surgery residency(5 years), I decided on pursuing a subspecialty in colorectal surgery. You don't need to know ahead of time. Just keep an open mind to all the different opportunities to learn about different fields.

0

Estelle’s Answer

I have been a gynecologic surgeon for 30 years, and I truly enjoy my job. I thought that I wanted to be a pediatrician when I started medical school, but I fell in love with surgery. I love the procedures and getting results. You will have plenty of time and exposure to different fields in your training. Really though, those squeamish feelings usually dissipate in the excitement of the operating room. Good luck to you!

0