How to break out

10

I’m a college junior interested in sports journalism, how do I get my first opportunity to break out? #sports #journalism

10

Dillon’s Answer

0
Hi, Dylan!

Great question. As a recent Marketing and Sports Management grad, it is important to find resources in the sports community and reach out to individuals on LinkedIn in careers you might be interested in. Experience is the greatest teacher, so be sure to reach out to teams or your athletic department to check-in on internship or shadowing opportunities.

In terms of resources, there is a sports journalism group that was started by a few students at Oregon called The Collaborative that can be found on Instagram at @xcollaborative_ and you can hop on calls with some of the leaders in the industry.

Dillon recommends the following next steps:

• Follow @xcollaborative_
  • Reach out to professionals on LinkedIn
Thanks Dillon (great name by the way) I’ve never heard of The Collaborative I’ll make sure to check that out! Thank you Dylan C. Translate
0

Allison’s Answer

0
I think it's important to get as much exposure/experience as possible while you're still in school. That being said, I know at my university, we had the liberty to go out and find the stories we wanted to cover. Do you have any contacts in the athletic departments at your school? Maybe start small by interviewing an athlete and then, as you meet more people, work your way up to covering more. One of the most important skills I learned in school was to go get the story, so I encourage you to talk with your professor(s), other students to see what is lacking in the sport journalism world at your school and start there. The more experience and exposure you have going into a job interview - the better! Look for unique ways to set yourself apart. Hope this helps. Best of luck to you!
0

Allison’s Answer

0
Thank you so much Allison, I know a few athletes so I think that is a good place to start Dylan C. Translate
0

Tyler’s Answer

0
Hi Dylan,

As a graduate of sport management programs in both undergrad and grad school, I think the first step, as many mentioned already, is to build your network. As you'll soon realize, the sport industry is smaller and more tight-knit than you may believe, and it's all about who you know. I suggest reaching out to individuals who are in a position/role you would like to be in on LinkedIn. Always include a personal note and I guarantee people will be willing to help answer questions through the messenger, email, phone or video conference. Do these "informational interviews" regularly and stay in contact with these individuals.

The second step would be to continue to educate yourself. Read a lot of great sport publications to understand what the professionals do and what techniques they use. Maybe even find a few free or discounted online courses in sport/journalism as many schools, even Ivy League institutions, are now offering due to the current situation.

Lastly, while I'm not in the journalism side of the business, I think it is integral to have some sort of portfolio to share with any of the connections you make through LinkedIn or when reaching out to potential employers. Keep a running list of your best content pieces in an easy to share/comprehend format.

0

Kimberly’s Answer

0
Hi Dylan,

Great question! I would suggest doing what you can to volunteer in the field. You will be surprised as to how many people you can meet at a volunteer event, whether it is just a one day event or a weekly volunteer opportunity. Do not be afraid to network and make sure you go out of your comfort zone to do so - everyone knows someone. I would also suggest searching for job fairs in your area. These are usually field specific and plenty of people to meet. I would also suggest asking your classmates and teachers if they know of any opportunities for you to get started. The more you put yourself out there, the more options you will find.
0

Megan’s Answer

0
Network! Ask these questions to experts in your field- the sports anchors at your local station, connections on LinkedIn, and professors. Pick their brains for what takes to make it in sports journalism today, since the industry is rapidly changing. At the very least, you could find a mentor or get some good advice. Send friendly messages with specific questions and see who answers back. Good luck!

Megan recommends the following next steps:

• connect with anchors and reporters on LinkedIn
  • Message local sporta anchor for advice
Connecting to people who are already in the field is a great idea. Obviously it makes intuitive sense but I guess it’s hard to reach out and make that first contact. Thank you! Dylan C. Translate
0