How does one handle unexpected circumstances, such as being short staffed and having to perform a treatment one has not done before?

I am asking this question because of my increasing curiosity in nursing. At my school, we go to the nursing home to practice our CNA skills. I have witnessed the nurses that work there have trouble because of lack of staff. I am just curious as to how one goes about getting the work done efficiently, on time, and still managing to make everyone happy. #nursing #public-health #medical #hospital-and-health-care

Jenny’s Answer

This is a hard situation, but it happens a lot. I'm a staff RN in a hospital. Just remember patient safety comes first - always. Always. Reach out to your charge RN, or supervisor, or colleagues you trust. If your unit is drowning, the staff may not be able to help you. That's why learning to prioritize, aka triage, is key. When you are swamped, everything that is not life threatening has to wait. Good communication skills are key, because you have to quickly explain your concerns to whatever resources you have available (providers, RNs, techs, ect).

Donna’s Answer

Although you may be short staffed, nurses learn to adapt to situations and can often find calm in chaos. They may change assignments with the expectation everyone on the team cares for an extra patient that shift for example. It is really experience that enables nurses to deal with challenges that may present themselves on any given day. There are some nurses that are generally just good at knowing how to make their shift run smoothly and have the innate ability to do so, but most often if it experience.