Brittany E.

91

2

What should you major in if you plan on going into Law?

I want to be a lawyer but am not sure what to major in first. #lawyer

I am not aware of any law schools who require a particular major in order to be accepted, so you should select something that you can do well in and enjoy. This is important because a higher undergraduate GPA (along with a good LSAT score) is what will make you an appealing applicant to law school. I majored in criminology because I am interested in all things criminal, and I am pursuing a career in criminal law.

However, if you have an interest in practicing in some specific areas of law, that area of law may require a particular undergraduate degree. One area of law that immediately comes to mind is patent law, which requires a science or engineering background I believe.

Last updated May 18 '16 at 11:22

You should major in what you like because many majors can be relevant to law. For example, theater arts--good acting skills can help you excel at being a litigator; psychology--can help you excel at negotiations; English--can help you excel in briefs or drafting contracts; various sciences--can help you excel at understanding patents for those specific fields. The answer is that a law degree can take you in various directions. I would think about what it is that your enjoy learning about and then find a way to take that interest make it into a legal career.
Last updated Oct 19 at 14:47

To go to law school, you need an undergraduate degree. However, it does not have to be in pre-law. Since the law covers such a wide variety of fields, you may want to major in college in a field that has a relationship to what field you eventually want to practice in. for example, if you want to be a tax lawyer, you may want to major in college in Accounting or Business. If you want to be a litigation lawyer, you may want to get a college major in English, Public Relations, or Political Science. However, as getting good grades at the undergraduate level is important to getting into law school, you want to make sure you pick a major you enjoy. Also, I would recommend picking a field that has career opportunities in case you later decide law school is not right for you.
Last updated Oct 19 at 14:55

There is no specific major required for law school. However, good grades will help you get into a law school of your choice, so I would suggest picking a major that you enjoy. Additionally, you may decide a career in law is not for you, and you may take a different direction than anticipated in the future. Therefore, choosing a major that can be applied elsewhere may be something to keep in mind. For example, English, Political Science, Business, Finance, etc. can be very useful whether you end up going to law school or not. Whatever you end up choosing, pick something that you enjoy and appreciate learning about.
Last updated Oct 19 at 15:20

I was an Art History major, so I think you should pick a major that you will enjoy. If you enjoy going to class, you will get better grades, which is much more important if you decide to go to law school.
Last updated Oct 19 at 20:27

icon-country-tags Ashburn, VA, USA

Schools Add a schools