7 answers

For the past couple months I was looking for a new opportunity and I applied to couple places and last week I accepted a job offer from a company that I was interested in, and this week a well known company offered me a great opportunity. If this opportunity came to me at the same time with my current job, I would’ve choice this opportunity. Can anybody give me an advice on what to do, I have to give response to the job offer as soon possible.

10
100% of 8 Pros
Asked Viewed 142 times Translate
10
100% of 8 Pros

7 answers

Joshua’s Answer

7
100% of 5 Pros
100% of 1 Students
Updated Translate
Hello,
This can be an uncomfortable situation indeed. Be sure to ask yourself and assess the new opportunity to really make sure it is what you truly want to do. If it really is the opportunity that you truly want then you need to make the decision on if you want to accept that offer. If you have not signed an employment contract or are legally bound to the first job offer, you can legally back out of the offer. I would highly recommend to do this via phone call with the first company and not do it via email. This will allow you to connect and really showcase that you do care and appreciate the opportunity but the other opportunity is exactly what you want to be doing. It can be uncomfortable to have that conversation but by being honest and up front quickly, the first company can start looking for another candidate. You don't want to accept the offer and then quit soon after for another opportunity as the company and yourself would be investing time and resources. I hope this helps and good luck!
Thank you very much for your response, this is definitely very helpful. Tansu A. Translate
7
100% of 5 Pros
100% of 1 Students

John’s Answer

5
100% of 3 Pros
100% of 1 Students
Updated Translate
STOP – Verbal offers are not offers Tansu!

1.) Tansu, Make Sure you have your Second Offer in Writing Before you Make a your Decision.
So before you loose sleep over any of this, make sure you have the real thing in hand. If you don’t, this actually could work in your favor by buying you a day or two. Simply go back to the HR person or recruiter who presented the verbal offer with something like, “This all sounds fantastic. I’m eager to sit down and review all of the details. When should I expect to receive the written offer?”

2.) Make Sure You’re Only Negotiating With Offers in Hand.
You’re heading to ABC Company in 72 hours, right? This means that you do not have a written offer in hand from them, yet. Thus, you don’t have endless leverage with XYZ Unlimited. However, this does not mean you should sit silently and do nothing right now. Just realize it’s not tangible until it’s literally printable, no matter who has promised what.

3.) Be Honest and Ask for a Bit More Time.
Unless you strongly suspect that the company that wants to hire you is going to freak if you divulge you’re in conversation with another potential employer, I always recommend being honest with the HR person or recruiter who made the first offer. I suggest something like this: “I am so grateful for the offer and excited about the possibility of joining XYZ Unlimited. I know you want my response by (Friday). I have one final conversation booked this week with another company, and I’d like to see it through. Would it be possible to have one to three extra days to firm up my decision?” In the worst case, they’ll likely say, “No, sorry. We really need your answer by Thursday,” in which instance you can decide if you want to accept (knowing that you don’t have the other offer in hand) or spin the wheel that you’ll land the role at ABC Company. Note: I’d only go with the latter if you truly don’t want to work at XYZ Unlimited.

More than likely, they will appreciate that you were honest—and, even if they’re antsy to get your offer acceptance, will honor your request for a small extension.

4.) Alert the Other Suitor, But Time it Right
OK, so let’s say you’ve bought yourself a bit of time with the first offer. Now, what do you do about that second opportunity? Should you keep your lips zipped entirely? Can you use the one as leverage? And, if you are going to alert them, how and when do you do it? I’m a proponent of alerting the other party, but you must use extreme care that you don’t look like you’re looking to pit one employer against the other in some kind of bidding war. And you want to time it right. I typically recommend that a job seeker wait until the end of the final interview. By that point, you’ll have a strong hunch about how you stack up in the race, and hopefully a feel for their decision-making timing.

Assuming you’re a front-runner, now is the time to bust out something like this: “I’m so excited about the possibility of working for ABC Company. Thank you so much for considering me. I think I will really be able to make a quick impact on [insert thing you know they care about a lot]. I wanted to make you aware of something that’s developed this week and see if you have a recommendation for me. I’ve unexpectedly received another job offer. While ABC is by far my top pick, there are aspects of the other role that appeal to me. They would like a response within the next couple of days. Do you anticipate that ABC Company will be firming up a decision shortly?” At the least, the person with whom you’re interviewing will likely appreciate your honesty. And in the best case (assuming they really want you), ABC Company will accelerate their decision so that they don’t lose you to a competitor or other opportunity.

5. Wrap it Up With a Big Round of Thank-Yous.
When it’s all said and done, there’s going to be two winners (among them, you!) and one loser. While it may be difficult to do (because no one likes interacting with people who are disappointed in us), you absolutely must close out the process with a genuine, heartfelt round of thank yous to everyone involved, including the company whose offer you decline, and especially if you decline it after they give you extra time and consideration.

Handle it directly. Handle it elegantly. Don't worry be happy.
Thank you so much for your detailed response, it really meant a-lot reading through your recommendation and feeling a bit better about the situation. I actually received the offer letter from the 2nd company and asked them for couple days to review the offer and they were with okay with that. It’s time for me to really read through compare both offers and see which one might be the right one for me. Once again thank you very much for your answer! Tansu A. Translate
CONGRATULATIONS TANSU. When looking at your NEW job offer, or comparing the two, often the most tempting thing to do is to go for The Money, also consider: The People; The Environment; The Benefits & Perks; 401k (Retirement Plan); Stock Options; The Stability and always Trust Your Gut. John Frick Translate
The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be. Reach for the Stars Tansu John Frick Translate
Thank You Alison. “If our hopes of building a better and safer world are to become more than wishful thinking, we will need the engagement of volunteers more than ever.” — Kofi Annan John Frick Translate
Thank You Eddie. “We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.” — Winston Churchill John Frick Translate
5
100% of 3 Pros
100% of 1 Students

Shauna’s Answer

3
100% of 1 Pros
100% of 1 Students
Updated Translate
Hello! I agree with Joshua. You'll want to compare the opportunities to make sure the one that just came up is what you really want. If you back out on your acceptance from the first job, you could be burning a bridge with that company for future job opportunities.
Thank you very much for the response! I don’t want to burn the bridges in my current company so It’s very hard decision to make. Tansu A. Translate
3
100% of 1 Pros
100% of 1 Students

Karishma’s Answer

1
100% of 1 Students
Updated Translate
Hi Tansu,

Firstly, do you have both offers in writing? If so, then you can move ahead with trying to choose between them.

Apart from compensation and perks, other important factors are the culture of the workplace and available growth opportunities.

How does the company treat its employees over time? Do new and experienced staff both have good work to do? How does it support personal and professional growth of its employees?

Considering the amount of time spent at work, you should go for the one which is most aligned with your ideals, aspirations and objectives on a holistic scale.
1
100% of 1 Students

Sachin’s Answer

1
100% of 1 Students
Updated Translate
Hi Joshua,
I would recommend you to strongly evaluate which opportunity better aligns with your career objectives. Go ahead with that.
If it's the second company you decide to go ahead with, accept the second one and wait till you get the appointment letter.
Then thank the first company and also apologize that you will not be able to join them.

All the best.
1
100% of 1 Students

April’s Answer

0
Updated Translate
As long as you know all the details of the second job offer and you agree with the terms, you should accept the job offer you prefer. Life is too short to be in a job you are not happy with.

0

April’s Answer

0
Updated Translate
As long as you know all the details of the second job offer and you agree with the terms, you should accept the job offer you prefer. Life is too short to be in a job you are not happy with.

0