Javonte S.

1131

19

How long does it take to be a doctor?

My mom said it takes a long time. #doctor

Hi Javonte! On behalf of all of us here at CareerVillage, I'm sorry it's taken this long to get your question answered. I wanted to be sure to step in and direct you (and any other students who land on your question) to a couple other Q&A threads on CareerVillage.org that should be SUPER helpful.

Lonnell asked: How long do I need to go to school to be a doctor? Here's some of what one doctor had to say:

"There are differences depending on where you go and what you specialize in. Generally, you need a college degree, usually 4-5 years. Some of that is your pre-med requirements such as chemistry, biology, physics, calculus, etc. Then there's med school. That's another 4+ years. The first two years are advanced science courses. The last 2 years are clinical rotations. Then there's residency. This is highly variable depending on your chosen specialty. It could be as little as one year if you want to be a general practitioner. But could be 7 or more years in certain sub specialities. I chose family medicine which was 3 years of residency."

Click here to read all the advice she received:

Diana asked: Is it necessary to be in a pre-medicine program during undergraduate school in order to attend medical school?

Last updated Apr 12 at 12:24

Schools Add a school