What helped you choose your field in healthcare?

10

Victor’s Answer

Healthcare has tremendous variability of choices as far as career. There are many companies in the field of healthcare (hospitals, pharmaceutical, and insurance companies, multitude of start ups, etc. In the end, you'll be helping real people whether you work on clinical, business, management, finance, research or other sides of healthcare. I particularly liked analytical and financial aspect of healthcare. There are so many unsolved problems. I knew that career in management and analytics would be interesting, challenging , rewarding and would allow to contribute to the field of healthcare.

0

Wendy’s Answer

My first career was in communications. But having lost my mom to cancer, I knew I wanted to eventually help other patients. There are great strides being made in science and treatments, so it’s a privilege to provide products, education and resources to doctors, nurses and pharmacists. For most of us in Oncology, there is a passion and purpose behind our desire to work in healthcare.

Wendy recommends the following next steps:

Spend a day with someone in a profession you’re considering or have a phone conversation about daily responsibilities

0

Daysi’s Answer

Hi Vanisha,
As a child, I knew I wanted to be part of the health care team. I read and learned very much from a course I took in middle school called Future Health Care Workers of America. Many disciplines from the health care industry would come and speak about their roles in different areas.I was a hospital volunteer, where I had the opportunity to see the health care team work and their duties. I asked them many questions. I also spoke to the school advisors and made phone calls to a variety of nursing programs.
I felt that being a nurse would help fulfill my career aspirations, under my circumstances as an immigrant with little resources. It was four years and I was done quickly with a stable job to support and assist my family.

Ask many questions, volunteer, take courses which will help you make your decision.

Daysi

0

Beth’s Answer

I chose a career in nursing because I loved the idea of combining the art of caring with the science of human anatomy and physiology. I knew a career in nursing would challenge me to be smart and to learn constantly.

0

Beth’s Answer

I knew I wanted a career that would allow me to help others. I also wanted to be challenged to learn and to develop skills that were useful. I knew a career in nursing would provide stability, independence and the opportunity for professional growth.

0

Estelle’s Answer

I have been practicing gynecology and gynecologic surgery for 30 years. I completely enjoy my job because I treat women of all ages ( except pediatrics). I perform well visits and routine care along with emergencies and less acute urgent problems such as infections. I enjoy routine office hours and the energy of performing surgery. The first decision to make is whether to choose a primary care specialty such as internal medicine or pediatrics versus a surgical specialty or one that involves procedures.

0