what do I need for college?

what do I need for college? #medicine

5

Marta’s Answer

Hi Cassidy! Great question! First I would assess your situation! Are you moving to college and living in student housing or commuting to and from home? If you are commuting, get yourself a good laptop, laptop sleeve, backpack, school supplies, water bottle, and lunch bag. If you are living in student housing, it may seem daunting knowing exactly what you need for college because this will be your new home away from home. Scary, but so worth it! Ultimately, you want to make sure you are comfortable in your new surroundings. So bring things that will remind you of home whether that is pictures of your family, a favorite blanket, stuffed animal etc. Before you buy anything, I would evaluate what your college offers. For instance, I bought a printer and honestly didn't need to because there were printers all over my campus. I bought a fridge and would buy groceries weekly. The fridge was good for me but I did not need to buy all the groceries because I was on the college meal plan.

I could go on and on of the things I bought and brought but there are better resources out there of what to bring to college. For instance, before I moved away for college I looked up online a lot of lists and what to bring. Depending on your financial situation, the one thing you NEED is to invest in a really nice laptop and laptop sleeve above anything else. Overall, there is no right or wrong thing to bring! To note, if you are moving in with other people, NEVER split the cost of any expensive thing like a fridge, coffee machine, sofa etc because who would get the things after the year is over if you have joint ownership? Splitting for things that are used up are okay like paper towel, toilet paper, etc.

Ultimately, bring what you can while still covering the basic needs like a good laptop, laptop sleeve, backpack, school supplies, water bottle, and lunch bag if you are a commuter or if you are living there bring the same items as a commuter and add in nice clean bedding, pillows, bed bug sheet, your clothes and shoes, shower flip flops, towels, shower caddy, etc. It is possible to live minimalistic at college despite what all those "lists" tell you to bring!

I hope this helps you!

Best,

M

1

Since you included the hashtag #medicine I assume you are interested in entering the medical field.

Pick a major that interests you so you don't mind devoting a majority of your hours to studying. You will need to get good grades in college in order to apply for medical school. At the medical school I attended, the average GPA is reported to be 3.85, so even one or two B's can hurt your chances of acceptance.
Aside from this, any major is acceptable as long as you complete the prerequisite courses. I chose to major in biochemistry because there was overlap with the premed requirements and I wanted to complete my degree in 3 years.
Typical medical school prerequisites include:
Biology: Lecture – 4 semesters; Lab – 1 semester
General Chemistry: Lecture – 2 semesters; Lab – 1 semester
Organic Chemistry: Lecture – 2 semesters; Lab – 1 semester
Biochemistry: Lecture – 1 semester
General Physics: Lecture – 2 semesters; Lab – 1 semester
Math: Statistics – 1 semester
English: Rhetoric (Composition) and Literature – 2 semesters

0

Bryce’s Answer

Hi Cassidy,

That is a great question and it kind of depends on your situation. If you are living on campus then you will need a lot more than if you are living at home. First off, you will need normal dorm room things like bedding (twin XL), hangers, possible storage bins, maybe a TV, and other things you desire for your room. If you have a kitchen in your room or nearby you may want a couple cups, plates, silver ware, and cookware. Lastly, you will need bathroom stuff like towels, curtain, bath mat, and so on. Also, don't forget cleaning supplies and a broom or vacuum. From a school standpoint you probably will need a laptop and maybe a binder or folders to help stay organized with your classes.

0

Yasemin’s Answer

Hi Cassidy! I agree with previous answers! A laptop is important; the college/university that you attend can also provide one for rental. My university would allow us to rent for four hours, after the time was up we could rent again with a return of the first laptop. It is part of the tuition you pay! I also would bring sanitation supplies too, like hand sanitizer, antibacterial wipes, and tissues as well. I had a small bookshelf for my books to keep them organized so that is also beneficial!

0

Morgan’s Answer

Hi Cassidy! You will need school supplies such as books, notebooks, pencils, a calculator, computer, highlighters, a backpack, etc. In the dorms you will need to bring your own bedding, toiletry, towels, etc. Bring along personal belongings that are meaningful. These are just a few things you will need to bring to college. Hope this helps!

0