6

What do information technologists do on a day to day?

I'm interested in changing my major from Civil Engineering to Information Technology. #information-technology

Thank you comment icon Information Technology has touched all the Lives across geography. Students , professionals , Housewives , Rurals and all the Industries & retailers are dependent on IT these days. It is not only to offer the Innovations but to make you dependent for day to day work . VANDANA MAHAJAN

6

2

Blake’s Answer

So...IT peeps don't build physical roads, bridges, or communities on a day-to-day basis. At least not physical ones. My job as a Unified Communications Engineer is to provide those similar things in the virtual world - allowing people to communicate/congregate/collaborate more effectively and efficiently than before. There's some math in that, but it can be pretty basic once you get out of subnetting and capacity-planning. But if you want to hold onto math and bringing that into IT, there can be different avenues to run down depending on what type of math you prefer.

As to what we do day to day, it depends on the career and the environment in which you work. For the previous 6 years I was able to work from home 95% of the time, and could be almost anywhere in the world. As long as I was completing my tasks and able to communicate, there were not many issues. So it doesn't help answer your question - and I'm glad it didn't. IT is changing everyday...so it's difficult to give you one good answer. But if you are still stuck on math, these come to mind below. I hope this was more of a help than a waste of time.

Business Intelligence deals with math in many ways - by taking data and presenting it in an informational format for people to build knowledge from.
Enterprise Data Management also deals with math, because they have to construct the stores and warehouses where the data resides in the most efficient manner for people to use that data as they need for their information purposes.
Database Management/Administration also uses math, but in a different way. They don't solely use numbers. They take data and change it from one form to another, using many different functions that are similar to math. I think they are wizards at times honestly.

2
1

Wael’s Answer

Check the link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om8AygYdrto

Thank you comment icon You are welcome. Wael Al-Rihawi
Thank you comment icon Thanks for the help! Emileidy
1
0

Ken’s Answer

Hi!

Here is an interesting link to watch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8bvnTvAY4Y

This site will also help:
http://inside.edison.com/content/inside/2012/05-12/mj-itspecialist.html

0
0

Gerard’s Answer

Managing IT budgets
Planning and coordinating team projects
Motivating team members
Evaluating projects from completion to end
Updating management on project process

0