What is a good GPA?

2

Chad’s Answer

Abbie,

The term "good" is subjective, meaning your definition of good and my definition of good may be two different answers. Neither is wrong, per se.
But on the GPA scale, an A or A+ throughout your learning years will equate to a 4.0 GPA, which is considered as good as it gets by many. It's a worthwhile goal to attempt, but certainly doesn't mean that anything less is not good.

Here's how GPAs break down:

A+ = 4.0
A = 4.0
A- = 3.7
B+ = 3.3
B = 3.0
B- = 2.7
C+ = 2.3
C = 2.0
C- = 1.7

Each grade you get is averaged together for your overall GPA in grade school or in college. So as you can see, if you can keep your GPA above 3.0, I'd consider that good. Maybe you would consider any grade above 3.7 good! The next person may say anything above 2.0 is good.

My best advice is this: Don't let yourself get stressed out about a letter. If you do your best, and can honestly say you gave it your all, then whatever grade you get is good. If you struggle with a class or subject, reach out to your teachers or fellow students for help!

Hope that helps!

Chad

1

Yasemin’s Answer

Hi Abbie! I would say generally to keep your GPA above a 3.5, especially if you will be applying to graduate programs after college. For example for medical school you want a GPA that is higher than 3.7+, although it can be compensated by a higher admissions exam score. Therefore it can vary, but just work hard and stay disciplined in your classes and it will pay off; avoid C's and mostly stick with A's and B's!
I do agree with the previous response to not let it stress you out and do your best!

0