what classes and courses will i need to be a veterinarian

I am in 12th grade soon to be going to college and I am wondering what classes I need to be a veterinarian. Do I need a lot of science classes what re the requirements and knowledge needed. Also what is the debt for most people who come veterinarian #veterinarian #student #school

2

Julie’s Answer

Hi Amaya! Typically there are a lot of classes you'll need to become a veterinarian and the requirements differ depending on the school to which you're applying. When I applied to vet school these classes ranged from science (chemistry, biology, physics, physiology) to liberal arts classes like English. There are only about 30 vet schools in the US and I suggest looking at a few to get an idea about each school's prerequisites. Vet school admission is pretty competitive so beyond the academic requirements, I recommend working part time with a veterinarian as this will help with income as well as give you experience on which to base things like your personal statement. Forming a relationship with a veterinarian will also make it easier to ask for a letter of recommendation for vet school and hopefully they can also provide you with mentorship. Beyond vet experience, I recommend pursuing other interests/ hobbies as these will make you a more well-rounded person and reduce burnout when you're working through your requirements. When I was in vet school I made sure to keep these hobbies up as they helped reduce stress from academic life.

I believe the average debt for a vet student graduating in 2016 was around $160,000, so careful financial planning is highly recommended as many vets earn less than $100,000 a year when they graduate. Out-of-state tuition will be much more expensive as well, so if your state doesn't have a vet school (I don't believe there's one in NM) some neighboring states with vet schools may offer in-state tuition reciprocity. Working throughout college will help reduce the amount of loans you will need to take out and many students are even able to work during the first part of vet school as well. You can also start developing good financial habits now by minimizing spending--any adult will tell you that you can spend money much more easily and quickly than you can earn it. Hope this helps and good luck!

0

Thomas’s Answer

Hi Amaya

I love Gallup. I used to live in New Mexico for a big part of my life. Have you ever worked or volunteered for a veterinarian? Find a young vet and ask her/him about the best way to prepare for the job and how it gets paid for.

Walk in beauty, as the Dine say.....

Thomas

0