how can i eand

1

Yasemin’s Answer

Hi Ben! Do you mean "how can I be an MD?" If you could please clarify your question I think you will able to get more help! Since your hashtag is pre-med I will offer what I know! To be a physician you go to a 4 year undergraduate university, complete the prerequisites for medical school like biology, chemistry, physics, English, math, etc. and graduate with a Bachelor's. You can be any major and apply to medical school but you must complete those prereqs and in addition get experience in the medical field through shadowing a physician, volunteering, research (this is not required by every medical school as other extracurriculars but if you are interested in research in the future and apply to heavy research medical school then it can definitely be a must), take the MCAT and score a 508+ and do well in your undergraduate courses. Many students take their MCAT junior year, while studying for it through the summer and then apply that year. It's usually a year before matriculation that you apply; so for example if you apply to medical school in 2020 then you will begin in 2021. You apply in June with the AMCAS application- kind of like a common app for colleges- then throughout the year you wait for interviews and then you hear back from the schools, it can take up until April of next year. In college as a premed you should seek out your premed adviser and keep track of the classes you need to take and your progress; as a premed it takes much planning to ensure that you are on track to medical school. I just want to clarify, because this can be a confusion for some students, premed is not a major or a program it's more of how a student is identified in their undergrad years. You are preparing for medical school through classes and extracurriculars therefore you are pre-medical; it's being concentrated in that area.

Medical school is 4 years, 2 years of book work and then 2 years of clinical where you complete different rotations in different specialities such as surgery, OB/GYN, primary, and pediatrics, to name a few. About your third year entering 4th you begin to branch off based on the specialty that interests you and take up electives pertaining to it. During medical school in addition to the many exams you will take, there are three large ones, known as licensing exams to formally complete medical school: Step 1, Step 2 and Step 3. After medical school you are a resident doctor! That means you are getting paid (time to pay off loans) and assisting patients, however you are still in training and will work alongside an attending physician who has completed residency. Each residency is different, ranging from 3 to 7 based on your speciality, most are 3-4 years but it can most definitely vary!
I hope this helps!

1