I am very interested in math and science and I like using CAD software. Is there any specific jobs/careers that would use CAD daily?

I am thinking about going into the engineering field when I graduate and I would love to know what type of career would be best suited for me. engineering CAD

8

Mechanical engineers uses this every day. You become a designer as you gain experience and designers are using CAD every day, all day. If you get tired of this, then there are many other jobs you can do with this degree. I started as a designer but became more interested in running programs and managing projects. Other engineering positions uses this as well, Aerospace, Electrical, Architectural, etc.

Thank you, very much appreciated! I don't think I'll ever get tired of CAD, as I am always finding new things to challenge myself with. Donny P.

Just to tag onto John's answer, Systems Engineering and Robotics positions/tracks are also pretty CAD heavy. Cat Adams

Awesome, thank you! Donny P.

2

Brayden’s Answer

Like many of the people above have said, Engineering and mechanical engineering specifically do a lot of CAD work. Mechanical engineers are constantly designing and building things so the use of CAD is a major advantage as they can model and run simulations with these software's so once its build, they know within about 90% of certainty that the system is going to operate as designed.

Now if the engineering route isn't your cup of tea then a drafter is the next best thing because they truly just work on CAD. Their jobs are to primarily either make modifications to existing parts or to take a hand drawn concepts on a piece of paper and model it in cad. Drafters are a vital tool because of the large variety of CAD software's out there for specific applications they are a huge part of why things get done in engineering.
1

Riley’s Answer

Further to John's point above, mechanical engineers use a ton of CAD. That is only half the battle though. The beautiful thing about being a mech. eng. is you are a very versatile team member. This means that you will find mech. engineers in all industries and on most engineering teams. So my advice if you were to settle on a career in mechanical engineering is to identify industries that interest you further. I would also suggest a minor in advanced CAD and simulations. This would make you a very valuable asset on any team and would probably satisfy your CAD itch even more.

Sweet, thank you! Donny P.

1

Troy’s Answer

John and Riley are spot on. I began my career as a mechanical engineer, and did a fair amount of CAD work. It is a great place to start! As Riley mentioned, the engineering degree and mindset allows for great problem solving skills that can be applied to a large variety of situations. You can then choose to continue engineering design and documentation, or go into manufacturing of the items you are familiar with designing / documenting, or go more into the project management of product development and release, or even go into the business side of things.
Best of luck to you!

Thanks for clearing it up, very helpful! Donny P.

0

Julio’s Answer

Not sure if it's been said too often but drafters (Architectural, mechanical, electronics & civil construction) use CAD.
Project Engineer, Electrical Engineer, Urban Planner, Interior Designer, CAD technician are others you can look at.

Great thing is Computers are not going away any time soon and the better you are, the most convenient it'll be for you to adapt in the workplace.
0

Penny’s Answer

We also work with mechanical engineers and industrial designers who use CAD in the creative field, building products, packaging, fixtures, stores, floor plans, etc. Being a mechanical engineer or industrial designer has lots of options.
0

Eduardo’s Answer

Hi Donny,
Even though several carriers use CAD, I know structural engineers use it frequently.
0