Yadira G.

How to determine which major or classes to take for medical interpreters?

I was introduced to the career of medical interpreters in a program I attended and it caught my attention. I would like to know what majors or classes would be important to take and the path to become one? #career #medical #majors #classes

chat-bubble-icon1 answer

Hi Yadira,

Very interesting...not very familiar with this field myself, but do know that it is very important work that is focused on ensuring that non-english speakers are able to feel comfortable in healthcare settings.

I'd recommend you visit the following sites to learn a bit more about the industry...

International Medical Interpreters Association

On that site, you can learn more about how to get trained / certified in the profession.

National Board of Certification for Medical Interpreters

Appears that a college degree isn't required, but I imagine that it would help you significantly in the long run in the industry...perhaps consider a degree in Healthcare and/or Communication (+ Foreign Language if you aren't already fluent). Know that there are specific certificate programs in Medical Interpretation as well.

Good luck to you!

Hope this helps.

Last updated Apr 05 '14 at 08:27

Schools Add a school