How long is an average day of work for a lawyer?

I'm in middle school and taking a career class. I took a survey to see what career paths were recommended and law was one. I would like to understand how long an average day of work is for a lawyer. #career #lawyer

2

Jenna’s Answer

Like everything in law: it depends! If you work for a company as in-house counsel, you will probably have more traditional working hours (8-5 during the week) and paid a salary. If you work for a law firm, you will be paid based on the number of hours you bill, so you'll work longer to bill more hours to get paid more. I work for myself, so some days I work a few hours, some days, I work a lot of hours, and I work on weekends or early in the morning or late at night to get the job done, but I can work when I want to. My compensation is tied to how much I work, not when I work, as long as I meet deadlines. I read in a survey once that the average lawyer works 50-60 hours per week, across all functions, so being a good lawyer is not for a lazy person, but you can still work as a lawyer and have a life as well. It's more important to get good grades in school to get into college to get into law school, then as you find your way in your legal career, you can find a job that suits the hours you are willing to work!

1