How to go about switching major?

I am currently a Social work student in Michigan. I am considering switching to a Bachelors in Human Services degree that is online because it will allow me to take more variety of courses and electives that match my interest, while not steering away from the helping profession. I believe my social work classes would transfer toward the degree. I'm not sure if the degrees will land me the same jobs and I feel Human service degrees are less common now days. Seeking input and advice.
#transferring #social-work #human-services

4

Wayne’s Answer

Hi Brittany,

I switched my major my first semester in college. Here are some steps on how to switch your major:

# 1. Speak to your academic advisor and faculty.
Your academic advisor will outline your path to graduation with your new major and also make you aware of the paperwork you need to do to initiate the switch. You should also set up an appointment to speak with a faculty member in the new major of interest. They will give you a deeper understanding of your academic path and the kinds of classes that are offered.

# 2. Complete all the necessary paperwork and submit it to the appropriate office.
Telling all of your family and friends does not fully constitute declaring your new major. You may have to submit an application or portfolio, or meet certain academic requirements before you are able to change majors.

# 3. Confirm that the academic office processed the change.
Don’t assume that you have changed majors just because you started taking classes in that field. Confirm with the academic office that all paperwork has been processed.

1

Simeon’s Answer

The sooner you can take relevant classes, the better, since they will give you a better idea of if human services will be a good fit for you. I'd also recommend considering double majoring if you are on the fence between the two fields. The more options that you can give yourself career-wise the better. Also, see if you can take an upper-level course as those will give you an even better idea of if you like the material or not.

1

Aimee’s Answer

The two majors will allow you to apply for many jobs in working directly with children, families and adults. Social work degrees offer alot of opportunity for many types of positions outside of the human service scope, such as working case management jobs within corporations and hospitals. The SW degree will offer you various experiences outside of the human services area. Speak to your academic advisor at your current college, make sure the social work courses who already have will transfer to the new major.

1

Gabby’s Answer

Hi Brittany,

All the previous responders are accurate. It's a combination of connecting with your advisor and asking questions about what credits will transfer, will you have to take "additional" classes if you transfer, will your timeline to graduate be affected, etc. Now is the time to ask questions and really decide where your passion lies. The good news is that it's pretty easy to transfer majors; I did it during my junior year in college and still graduated on time because many of the classes transferred easily. Another good aspect is you're staying in the same general field (helping people, psychology, etc).

A particular major will not hold you back from finding a great career after college. As long as your degree is in the helping profession, you'll be able to consider several options and can easily move around in a variety of roles.

0