2 answers
Updated Viewed 471 times Translate

To become, say a Pediatric Pulmonologist, how many years of schooling do you think that would take?

I have had my heart set on pediatric pulmonology for as long as i can remember. #cardiology #cardiovascular #cardiopulmonary #lungs #pulmonology #respiratory #healthcare #hospital-and-health-care #medicine

+25 Karma if successful
From: You
To: Friend
Subject: Career question for you
100% of 2 Pros
100% of 1 Students

2 answers

Updated Translate

Ann’s Answer

Hi Morgan,

You will need at least 4 years for your Bachelor's degree. You will need either a degree in Biology or Chemistry in order to get into med school. Medical school will take at least 4 years, and then you will need to complete your residency. I am not positive as to what additional time would be needed for the specialization, but I would recommend reaching out to a doctor in the field and asking if you can interview them.

I know it sounds like a lot of education, but if that is really what you want to do, then it will be worth it. My cousin took longer than most and didn't finish until he was 32, but now he is the most successful Orthopedic Surgeons in his area. Good luck!

Ann recommends the following next steps:

Search for Pediatric Pulmonologists on Google and send emails to at least 3 of them to see if they would be willing to let you ask them questions about their field.
Include your questions in the email so that if they do not have time for an interview they can email the answers back.

Updated Translate

Will’s Answer

Pediatric pulmonology would require:
4 years college
4 years medical school
3 years pediatrics residency
3 years pulmonology fellowship

Side notes:
Medical schools do not require you to major in biology or chemistry, although biology (especially physiology and biochem) is particularly helpful in hitting the ground running as a first year medical student. I have had a fair number of medical school friends who majored in English, history, philosophy, etc. and it is my belief that admissions committees like the non-traditional majors.

If you wanted to become, for example, a pediatric cardiologist, you would still have to do college, medical school, and pediatrics residency, but you would instead complete a fellowship in cardiology.