What career would best fit me?

Asked Peabody, Massachusetts

I'm a Junior in high school and I'm interested in a lot of things. Things that interest me are sports, stats, business.. #business #career #sports #statistics

Vanja’s Answer

Updated London, Ontario, Canada

First off that is great that you have so many interests! I cannot tell you what career you should choose, but I'll provide you with options that you may want to consider and ultimately make a decision yourself.

Just within looking at the scope of integrating sports and stats you may want to be a analyst for data collection service, an independent statistical consultant, team statistician, world tour statistician. These are the results I received after one attempt at a search engine AND I found all of this in the 1st website I clicked. It's nice for you that stats and business have been integrated in many positions that exist. I encourage you to use your imagination and do a little bit of researching. Look up in a search engine variations of your interests in terms of careers that exist. What is also helpful is that once you find a general job position you can then think about how that job position can be used in different environments. So I have outlined statistical consultant for sports teams, but maybe you would rather be an insurance consultant instead?

Also if you want to have even more options, you can look at careers in solely business or stats etc. You may want to be an accountant? However I believe the more well rounded you are the better. To be honest in the current state it would be difficult to find a job in which you solely focused on one of your interests. Usually jobs at the core consist mostly of stats lets say, but they will combine other areas as well.

Statistics are great because they are needed everywhere. They are needed in industrial companies, the weather, research labs etc. A lot of individuals find statistics challenging so if it is something that comes easy to you I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to play on the strengths you already have!

All the best!

Thank you for giving me the options that could steer me in the right direction. I appreciate it!
You are more than welcome! I am glad I could help.

Kristie’s Answer

Updated Omaha, Nebraska

It's difficult to determine what career would best fit anyone. You can definitely take a career assessment test, but the most important thing to do is to try things out as see what you like and do not like. Take a variety of classes and make a list of what you like about them and what you don't. You can also see if you are able to do any sort of job shadowing at local businesses. This can give you great insight on what someone really does in a specific job and if you find that interesting. Above all, don't worry about making a mistake. You can always change your mind and switch gears if you aren't happy in any job you select.

Aimee’s Answer

Updated Omaha, Nebraska

Hi Darren,

While no one can tell you specifically what field you should go into, I would recommend taking a career assessment test to point you in the right direction. Some high schools will offer this testing in various college prep classes. I would also recommend taking a wide variety of classes to really hone into your interests to help guide you when making that decision.

I hope this helps!