Does anyone have advice for college athletes majoring in STEM subjects when labs and athletic practices may conflict?

Updated Maryland, Maryland

I will be playing a sport for my school and, while my coach is very much academically focused and will support any afternoon labs I have, I know there will be some conflicts between those labs and our athletic practices. I am curious if anyone has any creative ideas for making sure that I can give my best to both my studies as well as my team. #college-major #sports #collegiate-athlete

Lisa’s Answer

Updated Maplewood, New Jersey

It is pretty simple. Keep your eye on the ball. School comes first. Let your coach know now about the conflicts and let him/her know how many days per week you CAN make practice. When school gets demanding, you may have to take time off. If this is unacceptable, replace this with a club sport which will be less demanding. If you can show up for a short time after your labs, you can offer that to your coach as well.