113
views

What are the main aspects of being a forensic technician?

There are many aspects of being a forensic tech, such as blood spatter, DNA, fingerprinting, etc. Is there one that should be focused on most?

Question Topics

icon-country-tagsunited-states-of-america

46

2

Two answers:

A forensic science job description may appear distinctly different depending on the area of forensic science being practiced. This is because forensic science is a rather broad field and thus encompasses a number of specialties, all of which are rooted in the natural sciences.

Forensic science work generally involves one or more areas of science:

Chemistry: Involves the study of paint, chemicals, and similar substances and compounds Biology: Involves trace and DNA evidence, including blood, hair, fibers, etc. Drugs/toxicology: Involves testing for the presence or absence of drugs, alcohol and poisons in blood, urine, and tissues samples It may also involve specific subspecialties of forensic science, such as botany, anthropology, and odontology (dentistry).

A forensic scientist may therefore take on one or more of the following forensic science jobs:

Criminalist Forensic toxicologist Forensic pathologist Forensic anthropologist Forensic odontologist Forensic botanist Forensic biologist Forensic chemist Questioned documents examiner Fingerprint examiner DNA analyst Trace evidence analyst Medical examiner

I think that a specialty should be what one feels most passionate about. So if there is an aspect that you seem to enjoy more than others focus on that one. I found that while I like all aspects of the discipline, I tended to enjoy ballistics and cell phone forensics more than some of the others.