49
Updated 4157 views

Would it be better to live in a small town or big city when it comes to forensics?

I’m not sure where I want to live in the future and want to know if I’ll be able to find a stable job anywhere I go. #forensic-science #forensics #forensic #chemistry

49

1

Candace’s Answer

Hi Trinity, It is my experience that you can have the best of both worlds. I work for a large lab, the busiest in forensics by volume, but I live an hour outside of NYC. I commute (drive) to work everyday but I also work with a lot of younger people that love living in the city and take the subway. I agree with Yhaqueri Niola, it ultimately depends on your idea of an ideal living environment, what your preferences are and what sacrifices you're willing to make for your career. When you decide to apply to an organization, you'll weigh your options, (city or suburbs, rent or own, drive or public trans, do you have a family or not etc). Hope this helps!

Thank you comment icon Hi, my name is Kayla and I am a senior in high school, I am interested in pursuing a career in forensics, well I actually want to be a pathologist to be exact. I was wondering if I can ask you a few questions to help me get clarification on the steps to be a real forensic scientist. Also to better understand the livelihood I am going to college for. It would be greatly appreciated, thank you. kayla
Thank you comment icon Let Candice know you appreciate it! Amin Rucker
1
0

Tricia’s Answer

Hi! I currently work in Pharma but I studied forensic chemistry in college so a lot of my friends work in forensics. You can be successful in a lot of different environments so it depends. If you study forensic chemistry there’s a lot of flexibility which is why I chose it over forensic science. I can work in a normal lab or a forensics lab so I have a lot of choices for work. If you look up forensics jobs on linked in there’s a wide variety of forensics jobs available all over the country so I would look there and see if there’s a city you would like to live in.
0
0

Churchline’s Answer

Big city, has more work therefore more action
0
0

Valeri’s Answer

The more information we can reduce or eliminate uncertainty, as marked by the entropy or the measure of disorder.

Therefore I would choose a big city.

0
0

Megan’s Answer

A big city since you probably will be traveling around.

0
0

Viviane’s Answer

Small town get more time to analyze samples

0
0

Caleb’s Answer

Generally astronomically immense cities are more liable to have malefaction labs. Each state has a malefaction lab system and they will generally have their main location in a sizably voluminous city but may have satellite labs in other places that may or may not be an astronomically immense city. Aside from the state system, more astronomically immense cities may have their own malefaction lab. A diminutive town will not have enough resources or need to fortify its own malefaction lab.

0
0

Kristyn’s Answer

I believe that it'll be better to work in a bigger town/city as a forensic scientist because not much crime happens in a smaller town as it would in a big city.

Kristyn recommends the following next steps:

find internships
0
0

Brooke’s Answer

Hi Trinity. I am a senior forensic science student at Penn State. From my experience, it only matters what school you go to, not what city you live in. Typically, the larger the state, the more crime labs there are. Also, a lot of crime labs are associated with the state police so it depends on where that is located. Your best change at getting a forensic science job is going to an accredited university/college. You can search in the link I added below. Hope this helps!!

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiY6JO2zLjvAhWDtlkKHex1CwgQFjAAegQIHBAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fepac-edu.org%2Faccredited-universities&usg=AOvVaw09eBm60KyZicArVtopgu7o
0
0

AADITYA VIKRAM’s Answer

Having got experience in various divisions of Forensic Science Laboratories I believe working in a big city provides an opportunity for you to deal with variety of cases. Each case shall give you an important lesson and all this experience comes out to be really handy in your career. However in small cities you may find some extraordinary cases to deal with at first if you go through the history some of the serial killers found it easy to hunt in countryside where it was unlikely for them to be caught.
It all matters where as a forensic investigator you wish to head in your career accordingly you should choose the city.
0
0

Sanaz’s Answer

I would say both. They both have pros and cons about them.

0
0

Jeanne’s Answer

Hi! Well I love to live in new places and my career as a Forensic/Biometric Analyst has allowed me to do that. I work for a major company and I support the government. This allows me to live a bit in the country and work in the city. The field of forensics and biometrics is huge and growing faster all the time... from airports to hospitals, police stations, CIA, FBI, local county and even fingerprinting. So many opportunities! The world is out there for you to explore. Keep your chin up, find good mentors and network with people in the industry. Best of luck!
0
0

maria’s Answer

Hi there Maria here. From my experience the best place to work in Forensic even in any other job depends on what career goals you have. What is it that you hope to achieve as a forensic scientist or technician? Where do you see yourself in 5 or 10 years. If you see yourself working big cases then you will probably find that in a big city. If you see yourself working one on one with people but at a slower place then the big city will not give you that. Small town (small city) will be your answer.
0
0

Tudor’s Answer

Megan, first go where the job is. Then, you see if you like it and have an inside view about the pros and cons for big city or small city. Good luck and follow your instinct!
0
0

Kate’s Answer

It just depends! I'm in the market for a forensic science position right now, and I've seen a lot of different places with forensic labs. It does tend to be larger cities in general, since those areas are more likely to have dedicated crime labs, but there are some private labs that are out in the middle of nowhere PA, etc. It's more important to have a good college degree and some experience, and some flexibility in where you're willing to live, rather than originally choosing to live in the right spot.

0
0

tabassum’s Answer

I don’t think so . Because for such huge field, big cities have better options.

0
0

Sherice’s Answer

A Small town
Thank you comment icon Although this answer's the question, your answer could be made more helpful if you explained why you chose your answer Gurpreet Lally, Admin