Would it be better to live in a small town or big city when it comes to forensics?

Updated Palm Harbor, Florida

I’m not sure where I want to live in the future and want to know if I’ll be able to find a stable job anywhere I go. #forensic-science #forensics #forensic #chemistry

Candace’s Answer

Hi Trinity, It is my experience that you can have the best of both worlds. I work for a large lab, the busiest in forensics by volume, but I live an hour outside of NYC. I commute (drive) to work everyday but I also work with a lot of younger people that love living in the city and take the subway. I agree with Yhaqueri Niola, it ultimately depends on your idea of an ideal living environment, what your preferences are and what sacrifices you're willing to make for your career. When you decide to apply to an organization, you'll weigh your options, (city or suburbs, rent or own, drive or public trans, do you have a family or not etc). Hope this helps!

Hi, my name is Kayla and I am a senior in high school, I am interested in pursuing a career in forensics, well I actually want to be a pathologist to be exact. I was wondering if I can ask you a few questions to help me get clarification on the steps to be a real forensic scientist. Also to better understand the livelihood I am going to college for. It would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Stephanie’s Answer

Generally big cities are more likely to have crime labs. Each state has a crime lab system and they will generally have their main location in a big city but may have satellite labs in other places that may or may not be a big city. Aside from the state system, larger cities may have their own crime lab. A small town will not have enough resources or need to support its own crime lab.

Gail’s Answer

A small town can have limited resources (money, opportunities) to offer a well rounded forensic work experience. Don't think big city is your only option. Mid-size cities have robust criminal forensic labs with opportunities to grow in your field. You should look at regions of the US. The East Coast of the country has a multitude of forensic labs; federal, state, regional opportunities. While other areas like Montana or North/South Dakota has limited opportunities.

This professional recommends the following next steps:

Yes, it is a useful answer

yhaqueri’s Answer

It honestly comes to your ideal living environment. If you like working with other people living in a big city would be best. Living in a big city helps you make connections and you get to gain knowledge from others. I'm from a big city and I've been given so many exciting opportunities for free.

Try this link: http://www.apa.org/ed/precollege/ptn/2012/11/student-opportunities.aspx

YASAMIN’s Answer

I would prefer to live in a big cities.

Shaminie’s Answer

Bigger cities (have more opportunities) and you will be able to process different types of cases and learn more. Smaller cities, workload is less but you might travel to different locations to testify if your lab is located at one location and it serves several different counties within the state. It also depends whether you decide to join federal, state or city labs; that makes a difference too.

Omar’s Answer

Oui, dans une grande ville -

Yes, in a big city (it is better)

Megan’s Answer

Updated Brighton, Michigan

A big city since you probably will be traveling around.

Shraddha’s Answer

It is always better to be in a bigger city when it comes to Forensic. Bigger cities have a well developed system of investigating crimes and therefore provide you with better opportunities to explore.