5

Apart from skills related to our career path, what other skills are important for a person to have?

It's always a pressure to work on skills that will make a person successful in the certain career they wish for. However, we have seen people surviving from skillset outside their career path. What are the best skills to have apart from those required in certain career paths?

Thank you comment icon Hi John This is a wonderful question. In my opinion, I would say; Passion for the field of interest Can you advance your career Is this something you feel you were meant to do? Best of luck and push yourself :) Liz A. Liz Anderson RN, BSN, PHN

5

0

Jen’s Answer

Some of the skills required to achieve a high professional profile are associated with Customer Service, Problem-Solving, and Attention to Detail. These are also a few of the same skills that an Employer would look for when hiring on a new Employee/Team Member.
Having exceptional Customer Service is something that is always appreciated in the work force. Whether you are communicating with a client, customer, or even just an fellow colleague, it is always important to remain optimistic, communicate clearly, and adapt to the conversation.
Problem Solving skills are important to have in just about any profession that may experience a conflict or require a resolution. Having the ability to work out a problem whether it is internal or with an external client/customer is always desirable because it shows that you are able to think outside of the box.
Attention to Detail is another skill that many Employers look for when hiring because it shows the individual is focused, patient, and attentive. Having the ability to read between the lines and point out discrepancies that may have been missed by previous review. It is important to see the bigger picture and being aware of your surroundings. Having high attention to detail allows you the ability to solve problems that your Employer may not even be aware of.
Thank you comment icon I appreciate you taking the time to answer this. John S.
Thank you comment icon This will be a great help for me as I embark on the journey of transforming my skillsets. Thank you so much John S.
0
0

Harvey’s Answer

Hi John,
There are a plethora of skills outside of your career that are very important to have. Knowing your field to the tee is not necessarily a bad thing, but definitely is not the only thing that you should be focusing on.

Having interpersonal skills is vital to be able to vocalize your opinions and ideas to others. You could be the absolute best at what you do, but when it comes time to present it to others in a board meeting and you're unable to speak clearly concisely, then all of your work goes to waste. Having the ability to communicate clearly is often times an overlooked skill.

Another amazing skill to learn is having confidence. Confidence is key to obtaining more from life. The difference between having and not having confidence can be the difference of being able to negotiate a raise from your boss or getting the team to do something that you think is better.
Thank you comment icon Thank you for the advice, Harvey. John S.
0
0

Zachary’s Answer

Soft Skills!
Showing up
A desire and willingness to learn.
EQ ( emotional Quotient) listening, asking questions/ learning how to ask the right questions.
related versus relevant is incredibly important I think today more than previously because the quantity of information available to the average individual is immense and making sense of it and being able to translate it into actionable applicable means is paramount.
Compassion, Empathy, Honesty I have found are very stable building blocks to build quality relationships with others and with yourself.
0
0

Noemi’s Answer

From my work experience it is important to have organizational and communication skills.
0