0

Is it really worth getting into any type of field that involves gaming in any way?

I have heard a lot of mixed feelings about the careers that involve gaming as a whole. All the way from Game Designer to Game tester. I have been told it strips the enjoyment of gaming away once you are required to do make your hobby into a job with gaming specifically . Is there some way to bridge that gap in-between the pleasure of casual gaming and the full work aspect of it behind the scenes? It is one of the few things I enjoy but I don't want that reason to be the reason as to why I hate it later on in life.

0

0

Game dev here. There is certainly something to be said about how this career changes your view of games, but for a lot of people its not usually in a negative way. For most, it just means an increased awareness and being able to identify the tricks and techniques others are using. Its kind of like going to a magic show and knowing how some of the tricks work. You'll still enjoy it, but you'll see it in a different light.

In terms of just full on burn out of gaming, to some extent that's a personal thing. Generally where you see that more is people who work on the game they are most passionate about. You might love playing a game, but when it becomes your job and you're doing it all day, five days a week, for some people that's too much and they may burn out on that particular title. For others, they still go home and play that game after work. But a common thread in game development is that people do it because they are passionate about it, and I've yet to hear any stories about someone for whom working on games ruined playing any games for them. I'm going on 9 years in the industry now and I'm still playing games every day in my free time.
Thank you comment icon I greatly appreciate the inside look. I have always enjoyed gaming and it is something that I have always kept close to my heart so knowing I can keep that same attitude and love with proper care and attention is quite comforting. Christopher J.
0