How to decide whether you want to go into veterinary school or nursing school?
I've been thinking about going into the veterinary field as I have always loved animals but I also love helping people. Which field should I decide on? Any tips/thoughts would be appreciated!
I think is a difficult thing if you love both, maybe you can do a little research on specialities and then take a decision based on that, to be fully in something with humans or maybe you like a specific animal
Patricia Marie’s Answer
- Do your research online on each major/ career..
- Speak to someone who already works in that career and ask them how they got there/ daily activities, etc (this is called an informational interview, look for good conversation prompts online) PS try not to be shy! Professionals typically are nice and would oblige if asked by a student
- Shadow someone who works in that career to immerse yourself and see firsthand how their days truly are
- Do volunteering or internship in that career/ field and see whether you like the work.
- Etc. There are many ways you can get to know both paths
Some questions to keep in mind:
Which one do you resonate with more after any of the above steps?
Which job activities do you see yourself doing in the future?
What are the pros and cons for each career?
try to volunteer in both veterinary and nursing jobs for some time. This will give you some insight which career you are interested in pursuing. Also you could take a career personality test online too. These types of tests allow you to delve deeper into what would best suit your personality. Talk to your career advisor too. Be prepared to ask all the questions that you have.