4
Asked 267 views

Is the medical field a safe place for nonbinary doctors?

Is the medical field a safe place for nonbinary doctors? I know some professions can be a hostile place for LGBTQ+ people

4

1

Craig’s Answer

I can't speak for all places. My workplace is very diverse! I will say as a medical professional you will have patients you may not agree with but you can't turn them away. I'm just an EMT, but I've had patients call me "colored", I've had old ladies tell me "I'd date a colored man now that my parents are dead" when they fell on the floor and are nude, I've had old ladies cop a feel on me, I've had old men married with kids call me gorgeous, I've heard alot. But I couldn't exactly scream and run away!

My point is, comparing yourself to the kinds of people you'll deal with, you'll be welcome with open arms lol. Just do your job and you'll be fine! Also you'll be in a STEM field so your peers will believe in things like biology, chemistry, physics, math and supportive of your choices and who you are! People in medicine tend to be open. I know medical professionals who do tarot and other religions outside of work. I know some who've seen exorcisms and more!
Thank you comment icon Thank you so much, Craig! Maggie
Thank you comment icon Thank you for giving me advice. River
1
0

Barry’s Answer

Craig gave a good answer.

I would guess that if you work in a medium sized or large city, you'd probably find more support. However, some things you can't control. Just be the best medical professional you can, learn as much as you can about your profession and the rest will take care of itself.
0
0

Davina’s Answer

Yes. I have worked with several non-binary providers. The providers that I have worked with were very compassionate towards their patients.

In addition to the healthcare company that I work for, I also volunteer with my local public health department which is very accepting of non-binary providers.
0
0

Sondra’s Answer

Hi River,

I think Craig gave a very good answer especially as a member of the medical field. I 100% understand your concerns for safety as I am the proud mother of three trans children. Two of which are getting ready to go off to college. We feel they will be safer in more urban areas where there is more diversity. But sadly no matter where you are there is always the chance of getting some ignorance, and or hostility. If you do experience this then be professional and take good care of your patient and who knows maybe they will think differently about non-binary people in the future. I am uncertain about Georgia but in California we are starting to have more gender affirming health care centers. So you could even go into a specialty area that possibly may feel safer for you. Hope that helps! Best of luck to you in your future!

0