What is the difference between biochemical engineering and biochemistry?

I am going into my sophomore year of high school and I enjoy chemistry and biology. Would biochemical engineering be a good fit to incorporate both of those sciences? #engineer #biology #chemistry

Alice’s Answer

There's a lot of overlap between the two, but you can't go wrong with either option, if you love both biology and chemistry.

Biochemistry is more about discovering how life works. Biochemists figure out how different proteins interact with each other, and how those interactions are important in the processes that keep us alive.

Biochemical engineering is more about rearranging these interactions to make life work better. Biochemical engineers often make modified proteins, or devices, which help regulate human health when it's out of balance.

Hope this helps!

Thank You. This really helped clear up some of the questions I had. Brianna T.
which has more scope,biochemistry or biochemical engineering?? Nazwa A.
They both have an incredibly wide scope, just in very different ways. Biochemistry is more about learning what's going on. Biochemical engineering is about making things different/better. Biochemical engineering tends to be more interdisciplinary, but really, either field can be as big as you want it to be. :) Alice Kaanta
This helped me alot as well Thank you Tyler L.