2
Asked 97 views

What classes should i be taking my senior year in high school to make sure I’m prepared to go into pediatrics?

Im 16 I don’t know which collage to go to, I’m in child development and psychology but I feel like i need to know more.

2

0

Darian’s Answer

Jazelle,
I am assuming that by pediatrics you mean that you are interested in being a pediatrics doctor, not a nurse or the other many jobs that are under the term child care.
I honestly would not stress about it too much right now. Simply put, too many people worry too young about getting into medical school. I know many people that put too much of their time into science, volunteering, and shadowing too early on and got extreme burnout. In fact, I would say 99% of the people I knew who had their hearts set on being a doctor did not make it that far. Not to mention that those who did sometimes were held up in the application process because they had not BUT healthcare on their resume. Medical schools love to see diverse applicants with a variety of skills and hobbies outside of medicine, science, and healthcare in general.
If anything, I would take classes that are concurrent credit or AP courses so you may have a good starting point when you get into college. I would really focus on getting good grades in those classes too, because it could be extremely difficult to catch up if you get even one B in these classes and are aiming to get into medical school.
Lastly, when you start college I would shadow/intern at different medical institutions. Make sure to write these down also because when you do get to medical school applications they will ask for all of the specifics of your previous healthcare experience. Doing this will also tell you if you truly like the field or not before you are too far into it.
Good luck and enjoy high school!
0
0

Kendra’s Answer

Hi Jazelle-
I would recommend over the next year or two, if you plan on going into Pediatric nursing or Pediatric medicine- focus on taking as *many* science classes as you can.

Nursing school and pre-med tracks require 2-3 levels of anatomy and physiology, chemistry, and biology.

When you go to college, if you don't already have a lot of exposure to these classes- it can be a learning curve in college courses and be extra challenging.

By getting exposure to the classes now, you will help yourself in the future. As well, you may even be able to get community College or AP credit for the classes!

Focus on the science classes, and you'll set yourself up for success!
0