Should I get a Mac or a PC for college if I am majoring in architecture?

3

This fall I will be a freshman majoring in architecture at Cal Poly SLO. My dream is to become an architect and I really want to make the most of this college experience. I am trying to decide whether I should get a Macbook of some kind of a Windows laptop. The students I have spoken with who are currently enrolled at Cal Poly have given conflicting advice. What operating system do real Architects use? Where is the best architecture software available? If you were entering into college right now to major in architecture which operating system would you want to use? Any other tips on picking a laptop for college would be appreciated. Thank you so much in advance for your advice! #architecture #architect

3

Elaine’s Answer

1
Hi there,
PC would be most useful in architecture. Most design firm uses AutoCAD, revit, and 3DsMax all run in PC. Although AutoCAD and sketchup run on Mac, at this time still not as popular as others.
Hope this help!!!
1

Elizabeth’s Answer

1
A PC or ensure that the primary AutoDesk programs like AutoCAD are compatible. Most arch offices are PC based. Good luck.
1

Andrea’s Answer

1
Every firm I have worked with/for uses Windows. AutoCAD has a version for Mac, but Revit does not. You can get a Mac and run windows on it, but I have never used it. Also, if you do that, you are still susceptible to viruses. What ever you decide, a $70 subscription to Carbonite will save you if your system crashes or get hit with a virus that makes your files inaccessible. iDrive backup is another option, but I am unfamiliar with using it. I hope this helps.
1