Skip to main content
1 answer
Asked Viewed 408 times Translate

How would you go about receiving financial aid to go to a school outside of the U.S?

I'm a U.S citizen but plan to attend the University of British Columbia in Canada. I've looked into FAFSA and other scholarships but I cannot seem to find the answer I'm looking for. If anyone has tips or advice PLEASE let me know. Thanks!
canada financial-aid financial-advisor

+25 Karma if successful
From: You
To: Friend
Subject: Career question for you


1 answer

Updated Translate

Jake’s Answer

FAFSA is a financial aid application meant for undergrad and graduate education in the USA. It is not used in Canada.

from my research, Canadian universities have their individual scholarship applications for international students for which you need to apply individually.
For instance, University of British columbia has a scholarship application and award process that is available here
These are based on academic merit, extracurricular activities and community involvement

In addition, there are other scholarships that are available for International students - but mostly from developing world. This website of the Canadian government provides more information

One of the questions I would ask is - what is the main reason for choosing University of British columbia as an institution vs (maybe) a California state college? Is there an academic course that is better there vs in california?
Try to really analyze the reason before choosing a college where you will have increased tuition costs.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your college search and admission.