How do you manage your classroom and students?

I am asking this because I love to create a classroom where students feel welcomed into my classroom.I will also set some rules in my classroom because I love to have fun but I also want to learn.#education-management #educational-leadership

6

Jessica’s Answer

Encourage challenge and support them showing them that the skies the limit. I know that seems a little cliché but through my experience working with developmentally delayed adults is not simply a situation where a topic is challenging to learn. They simply have lost confidence over the years and even though the topic is challenging enough if a student doesn't believe in themselves they won't have the motivation to seek out the answers. By encouraging and supporting them you are giving them a new sense of hope and revitalization.

3

Zachary’s Answer

Hello Tariyaha!

Thanks for your question. To help students feel welcomed in the classroom, I use exercises. During these exercises, students work together to get familiar with one another. They work in pairs, small groups, and participate in classroom discussions.

Active listening on the instructor's part is key to helping others feel welcomed and increase their participation. When they talk, I state back what I heard them say. I have these exercises available for any instructor who wishes to use them.

I also engage in diversity training at my local community college. I am continually learning about the cultures and background of my diverse population. This training helps me become more aware and sensitive to the needs of my students. I highly recommend all instructors continually take courses on diversity and social justice topics.

I appreciate that you expressed a desire to help others feel welcomed in your classroom. Keep the good questions coming.

Zachary

Hi Zachary! Thank you so much for the amazing advice that you gave to Tariyaha above! I had a few follow up questions I wanted to ask out of curiosity: 1. What are the specific exercises you've used to manage students in lower grade levels? Do these exercises change for older students (high school)? 2. Do you have any next steps one could take to get better at managing students? Any articles or online resources would be great! Thanks so much in advance. -David David Ohta COACH

Hi David. You're welcome. I do not teach K-12 students. I work with college and university students. Nobody taught me how to manage my classroom. I learned through trial and error. I tried out different ideas and observed the results I got. If the results match the idea I have in mind for a well run classroom, I kept doing whatever I was doing. To whatever extent the results mismatch my ideal, I make changes--try something different. Zachary Rapport

3

Linda Ivelise’s Answer

Hi Tariyaha!

My advice to you is: build a relationship with your students. I was a classroom aide before and I have learned that when you establish a relationship with your students they begin to respect you much more and actively participate in the classroom. Also, it makes the students feel safe. They want to be able to trust their instructor. As a teacher, you would have to become an active listener. For example, listen to your students. When they misbehave, investigate the behavior. Discuss with them why are they behaving in such way. Being consistent with classroom rules as well helps maintain a safe environment in the classroom.

0

Karen’s Answer

Good Morning,
Each student that I have the honor of teaching, is nothing less that a precious jewel. Had it not been for them, then seemingly I would not exist at that capacity. I find that when the student feels appreciated, they feel welcomed. I hope this helps you.
Warmest Regards,
Karen

0

ana’s Answer

Be nice and make them feel prepared enough to feel welcomed in your classroom. Offer lectures to their understanding.

0