Is it worse to fail at something or never attempt it in the first place?

I'm asking this because I was afraid to attend college at first because I didn't think I'd be able to go through with it. #college #confused

Angela (Angie)’s Answer

Hi Jalyn,

My opinion is to try it, in my life I have been taken out of my comfort zone a ridiculous amount of times out of necessity. However, I have found I am stronger than I thought and accomplished things I didn't know I could! So many times after hoping something would happen so that I wouldn't have to go through with something and then white knuckling my way through it, I came out saying "I did it!" It has made me a stronger more well rounded person as well as more desirable as an employee. The more well rounded you are, the more you have to offer employers. Consider starting at a community college in your area (it's the first 2 years of a 4 year degree,) research the different ones and see which ones excel at student engagement and customer service. Not all schools are created equal! Definitely meet with an advisor at the school and express your concerns, he/she should keep this in mind when helping you pick out your classes and recommending supportive services and study groups. If you are a first generation college student (or a single parent,) many schools have specific programs for support, like TRIO. They go the extra mile to help support students with college readiness and life skills. Community colleges also have smaller classes sizes (typically a max of 25 students or so,) so it won't be as overwhelming as a university with 200 students in a class.

Angela (Angie) recommends the following next steps:

• Check out supportive services: https://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ope/trio/index.html?exp=5

Ashley’s Answer

Hi Jalyn,

I believe that in most situations, it's better to try and fail than to never try at all. However, due to high costs and the impact student loans can have on one's financial stability, I would argue that college is NOT one of those circumstances.

If you don't think that you would succeed in college, that's ok. The four year college experience isn't for everybody. However, if you want to pursue higher education, you absolutely should give it a try! Consider a few of the following 'next steps' below.

Misty’s Answer

I would say it is worse to never attempt it. At least if you try it and put your all into it you can at least say that you tried it and found that it was not for your rather than wonder what would have happened if you did at least try, and who knows, you may even surprise yourself with what you can do and the fears you can overcome.