Joanna B.

61

1

1 comment Click to expand

I am a Environmental Engineer....when my daughter was ready for college I could tell engineering was not her skillset and guided her to go into Environmental Science. She just graduated with a BS in Environmental Science and has received a free ride for graduate school or PhD. Over my 40 years have met many Environmental Scientists all with very successful careers. As I told my daughter you can work for consulting firms, states, federal, industry. Many professionals I know have opened their our consulting companies. But to succeed you need to take AP chemistry, calculus and physics to prepare you for college The first 2 years of college (the weed out years) required you repeat chemistry, calculus and physics so prepare yourself. Good luck...go for it..Google Environmental Science to learn more
Last updated Sep 18 at 05:45

I was fortunate enough to become an environmental engineer and work for a manufacturing company and two steel companies. These jobs involved identifying the environmental requirements to be met for these operations and finding the most effective ways to do this. In the course of this activity I worked with numerous environmental scientists and other engineers who assisted me and the regulatory agencies in finding sources and corrections of pollution problems. The scientists included chemists, geologists and biologists. The engineers included chemical, environmental, mechanical and civil engineers.
Last updated Sep 19 at 23:24

If you are truly interested in environmental science, I recommend you purse a degree in either geology or environmental engineering. These people get to work on the most interesting projects! There are many jobs in environmental science, but most relate to inspecting and testing properties for environmental contamination.
Last updated Sep 19 at 08:23

Hi Joanna, I had the same question as I worked through my undergrad in biology, focusing on ecology and conservation. There are lots of niches in terms of environmental work, a few off the top of my head are: fisheries, transportation (usually on a local/state level), non-profits, state fish and wildlife departments, the US department of ecology, clean energy, stormwater management, solid waste, water quality, environmental policy. I work as an ecologist, specializing in wetland systems. So, my job is to go into the field and mark out a wetlands boundary, so that wetlands are not encroached upon (because they aid in flood retention, water quality, habitat, etc). As a consultant, we work for clients who wish to develop the land, but we must take into consideration the policies that are in place to conserve these types of ecosystems. I've become versed in construction, local/state/federal level environmental policy, and of course, ecology. To see what's out there in your area, I'd search things like "environmental specialist," "environmental services," "environmental consulting," "environmental nonprofit" on job sites like LinkedIn, Indeed, and GovernmentJobs. A lot of municipal governments and enviro non-profits offer internships for high schoolers. Hope that helps! The possibilities are really endless based on your interest and we need more people championing the environment. Good luck :)
Last updated Sep 18 at 19:46

Schools Add a schools