Will I make it ?

I can't afford college, and I think I might have to drop out. #ihope #college #college-advice #college-counseling

Elizabeth’s Answer

Dear Emilio, Dropping out is not an option, don't give up and think of your future. Remember, anything is possible! There are plenty of options that can help you pay for college. 1. Scholarships -There is a ton of money awarded to students who apply. Applying for scholarships takes time and commitment but it's worth it. Consider visiting popular scholarship search engines like the ones below to help you find the right scholarships for you depending on your background. When applying for scholarships, talk about your family, highlight tragic events in your life, talk about your great-grandparents, your aspirations, why you want to go to college, etc. http://www.collegedata.com/cs/search/scholar/scholar_search_tmpl.jhtml https://bigfuture.collegeboard.org/scholarship-search http://www.fastweb.com/college-scholarships 2. FAFSA FAFSA is a form used by the U.S Department of Education to calculate how much you and your parents can afford to pay for your college education. FAFSA takes into consideration how much money you earn and your normal living expenses and compares it to the cost of an education at the college you are be attending. After comparing the two, FAFSA takes the difference to determine how much financial assistance you will need to pay for your education. This information is communicated to your college's financial aid office . In addition, you need to apply for financial aid and scholarships through your college's financial aid office. Consider visiting https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/about to find out what types of financial aid you may be awarded. 3. Campus Jobs/Work-Study Campus jobs are great because they're flexible and they're on campus! Try looking into this to help ends meet. You may be awarded a work-study if you submit your FAFSA. 4. Paid Internships Paid internships not only look great on resumes, they help you apply the knowledge learned in college and they may also help you get a full time job. 5. Loans Although it's not fun to owe money, consider a loan to pay for college an investment in your future. Federal loans, if you complete your FAFSA, may include #subsidized loans which means the U.S. Department of Education pays the interest on your loan while you are enrolled in college full-time. College may be difficult to overcome but in the end, it's all worth it. You may struggle financially for a few years, you might not be able to buy all the things you want while in college but do you want to struggle to make ends meet for a few years or do you wan't to struggle financially for the rest of your life? College will open new doors and better opportunities. I am a first generation college graduate. My parents didn't have the money to send me to college but quitting was not an option. I was able to attend a 4 year university and pay for college through grants and scholarships for the Bachelor's portion of my degree. If you commit to making good grades, put in the effort, and stay positive, you will also graduate from college. My biggest advice to you would be to keep your grades up, stay positive, ask questions and get answers. If someone doesn't know the answer to your question or can't help you, don't give up - ask someone else, ask again. I promise that you can find the right advice if you look for the resources. Emilio, I wish you the best of luck! Thanks for reaching out for advice! I hope this helps!

Andrew’s Answer

Go to your school's financial aid office and speak to an officer. Ask them: WHAT CAN WE DO?

Emilio, First, I want to commend you on going to college, it's a hard choice to make and I want you to know you are not alone on this issue. Second, Elizabeth Avila said it all, you have so many options to choose from and use them all. Ask financial aide for recommendations and help! I went through the same thing and I was amazed at the assistance you can get from the folks at the financial aide department. Keep your chin up and continue to excel in college.

Julie’s Answer

You can make it! It might just look different than what you expected. I took time off and worked then went back. I also currently work for a company that pays for college. So talk to your school financial aid office and think outside of the box. Don’t get stuck thinking it has to happen one way and one way only.