What volunteer opportunities are best for pre-med?
What are the best things to volunteer at as a pre-med student? I know hospice is good for expier ce and les ring how to communicate with patients, but are there any I should really look for? Thank you!
Some potential volunteering opportunities that would be particularly of interest to you as premed may include but are not limited to:
- Home or facility based hospice
- Local food pantry, meals on wheels, etc.
- Hospitals: Contact or go to the hospitals and ask if there are opportunities. Most hospital websites have an area dedicated to volunteering and can serve as a good home base for opportunities
- Clinical research groups within an area of interest
- Basic science research opportunities in a laboratory
- Local health clinics for underserved populations
- Domestic or international mission trips
The best opportunities for you as premed will be ones that give you some exposure to the healthcare setting but more importantly become activities that you are invested in and spend meaningful time doing. This will be evident on your medical school application and in talking about your experience.