A lot of students think that choosing a stream such as science is important so that they can ‘keep their options open’.. What you need to do is draw up a list of careers that you would like to pursue and figure out which stream would give you the adequate tools to lead you to it. Research is the way to go!
Be crystal clear about your end goal (and commit to it)
Before getting started, understand that the following steps are specific for those looking for a software engineer. They’re not for the person who is:
- Dabbling with code for the first time
- Unsure if coding is right for them
- Wishing to pursue web design, UX, UI, or any other design-related field
- Wanting to freelance full-time
- Hoping to start their own business
Transitioning into a new career is not easy. But when you have a final destination in mind, it helps tremendously when you hit bumps in the road. A crystal-clear goal looks something like this:
- “I want to work as a software developer at an established tech company.”
- “I want to work at a brand new startup, as a software engineer, in the industry I adore.”
- “I want to build things on a team, and get paid well for it.”
No matter the specifics of your dream, you MUST be committed to the end goal of becoming a full-time software engineer.